X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for doxy users-Interaction with other antibiotics

Hi,
    I know there are many people on this forum taking doxy on regular basis.
    I want to ask you if you experienced another infection that needed another antibiotic. Have you stopped doxy while on other antibiotic?
    I have to take Cipro for an urinary infection for a long period of time( at least 6 weeks) and I've stopped doxy about 3 weeks ago.
    Looks like recovery takes a long time.......I hope that doxy did not have an effect....but my eyes are getting dry.....

Thank you very much.

George

My understanding is you can take more than one antibiotic at a time - In fact i used to be giving 2 or 3 antibiotics IV when i worked in intensive care at the same time
    Better check with your Doc though -I, m not sure about long term
    I pressume you are on low dose doxycillen ?- that would make it even less of a problem
    Also bear in mind that a break from doxy is no bad thing as you can get used to it and it does,nt work as well (you are using it as an anti-inflamatory agent rather than anti -infection when used for DE)It is also considered a pretty safe antibiotic as i understand it

Comment

Why don't you get doxy eyes drop instead? They can be compounded so the treatment is localized + oral antibiotics cause more side effects, like wiping out your benefitial bacteria in the GI track and other body parts.
      Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

We cant get doxy eye drops in GB Maria

Comment

I've been using doxy tablets on and off for 10 years with no side effects at all, except for positive ones (my dry eye symptoms improve). I haven't had any sun sensitivity or skin problems even on holidays to the Caribbean/Egypt. I go on and off it depending on the severity of my dry eyes; I don't want to become too accustomed to it in case it stops working. It's also used to cure bubonic plague and syphilis so definitely works for most minor bacterial infections too.

Comment

Tetracycline (doxycycline) dosis

Hi,
            I've been on tetracycline (0,25g/pill 2 pills a day) for about 2 weeks and yesterday I felt an obvious release from dryness and redness.
            I've read a lot about side effect of antibiotics and my eye doctor didnt suggest me using it against conjectives and dry eye problem. I took the pills from my mother and just had a try.
            2 days till now, I'm feeling much better and I'm considering taking it for a long term.
            Can anybody give me some information about the dosis and period?

Comment

I think you really need to see a doctor to get that information. There are risks with tetracycline as with any drug. These need to be discussed with a physician. Perhaps you could revisit your doctor and insist he/she consider it as a course of treatment for you.
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thank you!

Hi Diana,
                Thank you for your advise.

You are right but :-( my eye problems really drive me crazy and I'm willing to take some risks... But I guess I wil visit my doctor first.

Comment

Redness disappear, dryness worse

Hi,
                  My doctor meant I could use Doxycycline. I've been using it for about 3 weeks. The second week the redness was getting less but at the end of the third week, when I woke up see my eyes were very white, so happy, but after 5 minites, dryness shocked me. 2 days till now, I still have relative white eyes but the dryness is very bad.
                  I guess injections brought me a lot of tears before. So when I got no bacterials more, the injection disappear, dryness get worse.
                  I decide to check sjorgen again. And this time I will insist that my doctor should take complete tests. Also with biopsy. The last two times, test were negative but they were only bloot tests.
                  I'm very very depressed. During the time I got dry eyes, there were 3 times that I was thinking I would be cured. Plugs, Restasis, Tetracycline... The situation got better for 2 or 3 days, but got worse after.
                  I was hoping tetracycline was still working to give more tears, it only takes more time. Does anyone have the same experience as me? Should I keep taking them?

Comment

Working...
                  X