This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxycycline and Acid Reflux

Hi All. Thought I'd give you an update on my "results" with Doxycycline. I took 100mg twice a day for two weeks. I was supposed to continue taking it for 6 weeks till my next appointment with Dr. Latkany. Earlier this week, I was getting pains in my chest, which I thought meant I was getting pneumonia as a follow up to last week's flu. I was wrong...the pains were from GERD. (Gastric Esophogeal Reflux Disease...better known as "Acid Reflux"). My doctor said that Doxycycline is notorious for causing all kinds of stomach problems. And even though I was making sure to take it with food, I still had this result. So I had to stop taking it. I called Dr. Latkany and he said he'll see me in 4 weeks and at that time we'll see what other direction to take. So that's that.
    So no positive eye results from the Doxy, although it was supposedly going to take much more time to see those results, if there were any.

sorry to hear that, Nyer, at least you tried!

I took my 50mg tablets for 2 days, then my eyes felt worse (which may or not may be a total coincidence) so I've given up again. I'm so afraid of upsetting the status quo...shaky as it is

Hope you improve nonetheless

Comment

That's a bummer...

Sorry to hear you had to give up on the antibiotic. I took Doxy once, many years ago, and had some nasty side effects -- it made me terrible nauseated, so much so that I could barely eat. I wonder if there are any other drugs in that class that don't have so many side effects?

Comment

Maybe monocycline or those other ones like arthimoyocine (probably butchered that).

I'll share my expierence with Doxy and maybe it will be of some use to someone. I too developed GERD early on when I started taking the Doxy. Boy did that suck, couldn't eat and had all these eye problems lol. Well not eating seemed to help my lids (probably like a detox effect) but anyway I had a doc tell me it was GERD so I stopped the doxy for a while.

I know of 2 ways for the doxy to do that to people. 1)Taking it w/o food (and especially taking it on an empty stomatch then going to bed) and 2)lying down or going to sleep right after taking it.

The doxy effects can be tough to notice but the way I found it most effective was to take it 1 hour after a very very light and healthy meal (like a salad). Or in the morning about 4 or 5 hours before a meal.
        Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

I only took the Doxy with meals and never right before laying down or going to sleep. (Even without Doxy, that can cause acid reflux.)
          It caused the acid reflux anyway.
          (and it's still bothering me - a week after stopping).

Comment

Eva - dont stop doxy after only 2 days - It is a pretty safe drug to take My teenage daughter took it at 50 mgs daily for months on end when she had acne, and my Dr says she prescribes it for years for young people with acne
            You are a bit like me - and i found it was the first thing that helped me last year
            Look up some of my posts on doxy
            You can take it with milk by the way - so the literature says - not though within 4 hours of antacid remedies(My version is vibramycin D - a dispersible tablet - comes in 100mgs - I started with 100 for a week > 50 for a couple of weeks > 25 as a maintainance dose for 4 months
            It continues to work after you stop it ,for a while
            My improvement kicked in after 2 weeks
            Do go on to acidophalus (Holland & Barrett have a v nice chewable version ) to maintain the good bacteria in your gut
            And keep out of the sun (skin sensitivity)

Comment

Originally posted by NYer View Post
              I only took the Doxy with meals and never right before laying down or going to sleep. (Even without Doxy, that can cause acid reflux.)
              It caused the acid reflux anyway.
              (and it's still bothering me - a week after stopping).

That sucks.. Did they give you lidocane or anything?
              Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

No...why would I get lidocaine?

Comment

Maybe your GERD was different from mine but for me it felt like I was getting stabbed in the back and the throat/chest when I ate. So I really couldn't eat, even the smallest bite would cause extreme pain. So they gave me lidocane and prilosec OTC. The lidocane allowed me to eat without pain while the prilosec otc healed the errosion or w/e.

-Tim

Comment

Wow! You really got it bad. I took proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec is in that category) and that helped. I couldn't keep taking them because they affected my blood sugar, though.
                    I didn't need any lidocaine. I have actually never heard of lidocaine being used that way. I've only known of it being used for it's numbing effects with injections and dentistry, etc. Also topically, of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X