X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alodox

Hi all,
    Just saw this in Optometric Management. Occusoft is now marketing a convenience pack consisting of eyelid cleaner and 20mg doxycycline hyclate tablets. I don't know if this is re-labeled Periostat (another 20mg doxy tab) or their own product. Anyway, worth checking out.
    See: http://www.alodox.com/index.html
    Also, Wal-Mart has doxycycline 50mg pills for $4/30 tablets. Some studies are showing that 50mg daily is around the threshold where the medication starts to become antibiotic and not just anti-inflammatory, but wouldn't this also depend of body weight, diet, etc.? I can tell you that Collagenex Pharmaceuticals is claiming that their Oracea 40mg (a blend of doxy) stays below the antibiotic threshold. That's good for me (if it's true) since I am taking it for ocular rosacea. It does seem to help some, but has not produced the results I was hoping to see. It is something like $200+/month w/o insurance, so I would like to find something cheaper.

I was also put on Oracea. I find it hard to understand why a common drug like doxycycline , can't easily be marketed in a generic low dosage.
    I asked my Dermatologist about generic, and was told no can do. Which makes no sense to me. I mean really, what about kids? Or breaking a tablet in half for goodness sake.
    This is a 4$ generic drug at Walmart, and a lower dosage is supposedly worth $200?

Eli, did you notice there is a patient assistance program at the bottom of the website?
    Maybe it is like that pharmacy assistance program Montel Williams advertises for.

Comment

My friend was just complaining to me about the doxy low-dosage issue. I don't get it. How about getting the prescription filled as a liquid and then measuring it as the dosage you would like? This isn't as convenient as a pill unfortunately. I don't know if kids are ever actually put on antibiotics in the -cycline family. I do know they cause a permanent staining of the teeth in children.
      Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I'm sure a compounding pharmacy could do it with a prescription - but it would probably be more expensive than doxy should be.

Comment

Working...
        X