Rash from doxycycline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rash from doxycycline?

After 7 months of not knowing why I have dry eyes, I finally went to see Dr. Latkany and was told that my meibomian glands produce no oil. I was prescribed oral doxy for 4 weeks. It's been 6 days, and today I woke up w/ little raised red bumps on my legs, arms, chest, and back of hands! I'm scared that I might be allergic to doxy, and worse, there won't be any other treatments to help my dry eyes! Has this happened to anyone?? If I am allergic to doxycycline, does that mean I will be allergic to doxy drops as well??? Does anyone know?

I'm scared that doxycycline is the only treatment that was going to help me
    =(, and now I may not be able to take it anymore...

Hi,

You might want to give your primary doctor a call and let him/her know about this - perhaps tonight. If you are allergic they would want to know and they could let you know what to do. If you start to have any problem with breathing, go to the ER or call 911. I would suggest not taking anymore of the doxy until you find out what is causing the red bumps.

Best wishes,
    dryeyes2

Comment

1. That sounds like an allergic reaction. Stop taking the Doxy and call your doctor.
      2. Doxy would not have cured your dry eyes. As a matter of fact, it would do very little to help it. Usually, when Dr. L prescribes Doxy it's for rosacea and, in fact, he says it does very little for occular rosacea - it's more helpful for facial rosacea.
      3. There are other things that might help. And yes, if you are allergic to Doxy pills, you'd likely be allergic to Doxy drops, you shouldn't even consider them.
      4. Call Dr. Latkany tomorrow and ask him what you should do next. But don't take any more Doxy!!

Comment

more info

I just did a search on Doxy and rash was on the list of allergic reactions. If I were you, I would call my doctor tonight to get their opinion and advice.

Best wishes,
        dryeyes2

Comment

Thanks for your responses!! I would go insane w/o this board. I did stop taking Doxy, and contacted my doctors including Dr L. Turns out I just have to assume that I am allergic and can no longer take it, including other tetracyclines. Great....another dry eye hurdle . Just when I thought something could help me.

Oh the battle continues....

Comment

I am sorry to hear that that is another thing that hasn't worked for you with healing your dry eyes. I know how frustrating that is. I am glad you are ok. Allergies to antibiotics can be scary.

Best wishes,
            dryeyes2

Comment

Working...
            X