X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of info on Doxycycline ?

Hello all

After what is i think my fifth visit to the eye clinic this year i have finally been given a bit af positive news. Apparently the Blepharitis is now minimal and my glands are doing more of what they should too. However i stll feel the lids are still quite red especially on a morning and told the doc as such. She has informed me that there is still some inflamation under the lids and has now prescribed 2 months of Doxycycline(50mg), 2 tabs a day for first month then 1 for the second.

Apparently this may make me feel a little sick, but this is not what particulary worries me, it is the part about them making you sensitive to sunlight. It is particularly sunny in Britain at the mo ( really it is !!) am i going to turn into a lobster just by having my face exposed to direct sunlight, how could i possibly avoid not being in direct sunlight!

Any body advise and tell me experiences ? I am assuming i'm worrying to a far greater degree than i should, we don't get that much Sun over ere, so i don't want to wear a ski mask or anything!

cheers

ben

Ben,

I've been on and off of the -cycline family of drugs since was a teenager. I used tetracycline for acne as a pimply teenager and used it more recently for meibomian gland dysfunction.

Every time I've used it I'd considered the side-effects. Fortunately for me, I didn't notice a change in anything. I really didn't. As a kid I spent a great deal of time swimming and such. If I was more sensitive to sunlight, I simply didn't notice.

Give it a shot. You can always discontinue if you need to.

Diana
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

I never noticed anything either. But then I always use a good sunscreen.

Comment

As long as you dont go for an eight hour tanning session at Brighton beach wearing factor one oil and a thong you'll be fine. just buy some sunscreen and a hat and cover up if you plan on being outside for long periods between the hours of 11-3 in stong sun. Apart from that you will be fine. I've been on the doxy myself and its not a problem.

Comment

Doxycycline

I've been on doxy for well over a year and haven't had any problems with the sun (and I'm out in the sun quite often). I worried as well at first but it hasn't bothered me. I use sunscreen if I'm going to be at the pool/beach or outdoors for an extended time. I probably have rosacea which is causing my eye problems so I wear a hat when I'm out in the sun. Hope that helps!

Comment

while your on doxycycline are you allowed to consume alcohol at all? in the evenings i mean after taking it in the morning?

Comment

Avoid Alcohol while on Doxy!!!

Adam while taking any form of antibiotic alcohol should be HIGHLY avoided, it reduces the doxycycline blood levels, this is the same with tetracycline. Meaning it dilutes the antibiotic and doesn't give it the full effect that is needed. It is rather pointless to even take it if you drink while on it, that is one reason I got off of it as well because I enjoy going out on the weekends and having my beer with my friends. I am a social worker but have a great deal of knowledge in medicine and prescription drugs as I have to know many of them and their effects on people. I found that while I was on Doxy it did nothing for my eyes, I still am suffering from those horrible stringy mucus things coming out of my eyes and severe dry eye. Delilah

Comment

Doxy, Sun, and Booze

I have taken doxy religiously (2x day for 6months) then tapered off, then back to 2x a day. I also have fair skin so was nervous about exposure to sun. Especially as I had some caribbean trips mixed in there, etc. As long as you dont bake yourself all day you should be fine, and if you are exposed to alot of sun during the day just use a sunscreen.

Doxy and booze should not be mixed solely because the booze may minimize the effects of the doxy. As delilah indicated the one knock on mixing is that the booze could minimize the effect of the pill you take within that 8 hour period. Mixing them together however will not cause any increase in alchohol effects. So you will feel the same way drinking 3 beers on doxy as you do off doxy.

Comment

Working...
                X