Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best way to tolerste doxycycline capsules?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best way to tolerste doxycycline capsules?

hi folks ive got posterior blepharitis and mgd and chronic dry eye.ive decided to try to go onto the doxycycline again as ive had this for 3 years now and the pain is driving me nuts..problem is this was the first drug i was prescribed and was only able to stay on it a few days as i was constantly sick..the dr gave me some anti sickness tablets to keep em down but they didnt work either.has anyone found a way to get round the sickness side of doxy any tips or hints would be appreciated..as my clinic visits are every ten weeks its ages before i see the eye doctor again.last time he said try flaxseed oil instead. but surely the flaxseed oil wouldnt kill the bacteria the same way as doxy?any feedback would be helpful as im desperate with all this..regards cb.

closely related to doxycycline

Has your doctor ever considered minocycline or tetracycline for you, as an alternative to doxycycline?

Interestingly, all three are used, today, for posterior blepharitis (with tetracycline being relatively out of vogue, though still very much used with facial rosacea that may be associated with ocular rosacea); but individuals react to each quite uniquely. I, for example, became horribly dizzy on minocycline, but could tolerate doxy and tetra for years on end. . . I know others who cannot tolerate doxy, but do well on mino...

My understanding is that doxy and mino are thought to be able to penetrate to the interior of the meibomian glands, explaining their greater popularity for MGD than that of tetra. . .

Please also consider asking your doc to culture the exudate of your eyelids. . .I have a friend whose eye doc just completed such a culture, and whose results indicated bacterial growth not covered by the tetracycline drugs. . .Her doc therefore prescribed a topical antibiotic (to be taken short-term), as part of her posterior blepharitis regimen. This analysis may not be relevant, though, if you are on doxycycline not for a suspected infection but, rather, for chronic noninfectious inflammation, which is also often treated by the tetracycline drugs. . .
    <Doggedly Determined>

Comment

I second Rojzen. Maybe you could try minocycline?

When I was prescribed doxycycline, I had an allergic reaction to it, my body was covered in hives that took weeks to subside. I was then prescribed minocycline, and it's been 3 weeks and so far, no allergic reaction (yay! fingers crossed). Doxycycline also made me sick to my stomach, but my stomach can tolerate minocycline much better. In terms of minocycline helping my MGD...we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

My method is to take them after a meal, and with a full glass of water.

Comment

Taking it with a meal can decrease the effectiveness of the doxycycline/minocycline though. The medicine can bind to certain vitamins and minerals (especially calcium and magnesium) and then cannot do its job. You also will not be able to absorb certain nutrients, so its a lose-lose situation. I think maybe decrease the meal to a snack?

Comment

I've been on 50 mgs of doxy a day for the last few years. I take the capsule during breakfast with a Florajen capsule which is a freeze-dried strain of live 100% lactobacillus acidophilus. This is working well so far altho the Florajen, according to directions, is best taken on an empty stomach.

Comment

thank you rojzen 32036....

Originally posted by Rojzen View Post
              Has your doctor ever considered minocycline or tetracycline for you, as an alternative to doxycycline?

Interestingly, all three are used, today, for posterior blepharitis (with tetracycline being relatively out of vogue, though still very much used with facial rosacea that may be associated with ocular rosacea); but individuals react to each quite uniquely. I, for example, became horribly dizzy on minocycline, but could tolerate doxy and tetra for years on end. . . I know others who cannot tolerate doxy, but do well on mino...

My understanding is that doxy and mino are thought to be able to penetrate to the interior of the meibomian glands, explaining their greater popularity for MGD than that of tetra. . .

Please also consider asking your doc to culture the exudate of your eyelids. . .I have a friend whose eye doc just completed such a culture, and whose results indicated bacterial growth not covered by the tetracycline drugs. . .Her doc therefore prescribed a topical antibiotic (to be taken short-term), as part of her posterior blepharitis regimen. This analysis may not be relevant, though, if you are on doxycycline not for a suspected infection but, rather, for chronic noninfectious inflammation, which is also often treated by the tetracycline drugs. . .
              hello and thank you for your informative reply ive written what youve suggested down and will take it with me next visit..this site is great as ive learnt more about my condition than on anything else on the web..kind regards cb...

Comment

William, if you're taking a probiotic at the same time as the Doxycycline, what you are accomplishing doing is wasting both of them. The Doxycycline uses its "energy" killing the probiotic instead of the bad bacteria, rendering it far less potent than the dosage you think you're taking. And it also renders the probiotic entirely ineffective. You must wait at least two hours before or after taking an antibiotic before taking a probiotic.

In addition, although it is, indeed, important to take a probiotic whenever you're taking an antibiotic for a number of reasons, the probiotic does not, in any way, prevent gastric irritation from Doxycycline. Doxycycline, in fact, has the potential to cause a very specific esophageal ulcer that other antibiotics do not. And this is not preventable in people who are susceptible to it. Probiotics have no effect on that. I'm a major proponent of probiotics but that is not a purpose that they serve.

Comment

NYer, I appreciate the insight. I have Dr's appt today and have added your point to my list of questions. Best,

Comment

Working...
                  X