This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 week trial

Saw a new doctor yesterday, showed her the pics of my red inner eyelids (the margins look fine) and updated her with the news that my MGs had been found to have been blocked. I asked to try doxycycline, to see if that would help my DES.

She wasn't over keen, and preferred to wait until I'd been seen by the ophthalmologist I also asked to be referred to. Understandable perhaps - but here that will take 6 - 8 weeks just to be seen, and I don't want that to be time when I could be trying something.

In the end I managed to convince her to prescribe me 100mg of doxy for 2 weeks (although I asked for 4). So I guess I would ask:

- Is a initial 2 week trial of doxy even worth it? I've read you need to be on it much longer to have real effect.

- Can you drink alcohol whilst on doxy?

Not sure. Let me know how you get on witht them - i think we seem to have kinda similar problems. I'm considering asking for them too. Don't have appointment till fri week at the Eye Clinic though.
    I think i've taken it before years ago for Sinius and i don't think you can drink with them.

Comment

It depends on how bad your MGD is, and for most people, it will take several weeks to several months to feel any benefits. Try to convince the new doc to give you at least a 4 weeks prescription. You can even ask your general practitioner, any doc can prescribe this. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Jlg -
        100 mgs is too high long term ---
        I started with that and went down after a week to 50mg -then down to 25mg and was on 25 mg for 4 months
        Cant understand your Doc being so concerned - They put young people on Doxycillen 50mg really long term for acne - My daughter was on it for over a year at that dose.
        I found it definately helped
        I am now on chloramycetin eye ointment to lid margins and it REALLY helps ( so maybe i just respond well to antibiotics)
        If you go down to 25mgs you will have to get your doxycillen as "vibramycin D " in UK - It is the only preparation that comes in tablet form.It comes in 100mg tablets ,and you can either dissolve it and divide the solution into 4 ; or (as i used to) break it into quarters and take a quarter each day
        Remember you are using it for INFLAMATION not as an antibacterial
        In USA people can get it in as low a dosage as 20mgs (which is what Dr Latkany recommends) Hope it helps you
        Try looking up all the info on Doxy on this site - There is loads

Comment

100 mgs is too high long term
          Hmm - maybe I could do 100mg this week, and then 50mg perday for 2 weeks after that (i.e. just take half a capsule). At least then the trial would be 3 weeks instead of 2.

I think we've talked about chloramycetin eye ointment before - is that OTC or perscription?

It's my GP I went to see - and the first time I've ever seen that one as the one I did have (and didn't rate) left. It was hard to convince her for the 2 week trial - I felt like I'd been in a battle by the time I came out. But in fairness, she did listen, actually looked at my eyes (the other GP never did) - and was prepared to look at some of the printed out material re posterior bleph (which I'm not diagnosed with). So I give her respect for that.

I took this along with bits highlighted: http://cks.library.nhs.uk/blepharitis/view_whole_topic

Comment

I'm am going to ask for Doxy too on my Eye appointment next week. Hopefully he will see that the warm compresses and lid hygiene aren't helping enough.

Comment

Jlg - to answer your question ----
              You can get chloramycetin(chloramphenicol) eye ointment otc - optrex does it ,but that version did'nt agree with me since it was in mineral oil which irritated my eyes
              I get it Rx and that version is ok 'cos it is in liquid parrafin/soft white parrafin (which is vasaline)
              interesting fact about chloramphenicol eye ointment
              I was in seeing my Doc about another matter and we talked about my eyes and me responding so well to the chloramphenicol ointment -She said she had been talking to an ophthalmologist and he says the reason chloramphenicol is now otc ,is 'cos (get this )it works 0% as an antibiotic to the eyes when used for infections such as conjunctivitis She did not go on to say whether the bugs had become resistant to it but she did suggest that the reason it worked for me in the light of that info could not be it's antibacterial properties and must be its emolient /lubricant properties which help me
              I wonder would just vasaline do instead!

Comment

Stella

That's interesting. Can you remind me - did you say you had posterior or anterior bleph/inflammation?

Comment

Working...
                X