This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minocycline and the Pill

I was prescribed a course of Minocycline for my eyes - the Doctor told me that it won't interfere with the pill and the Pharmacist said it might... anyone....

I was on Doxy for 3 months and was on the pill as well. I was on a low does of the Doxy -- only 100mg per day. The pharamacist was not concerned. BUT I guess it doesn't hurt to take extra precautions. Anti-biotics can and do intefere with the effectiveness of the pill.

Good luck!

Comment

I certainly would not take the risk.

Comment

I'd take the pharmacist's word for it.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

From Drugs.com:

Important information about minocycline
          Do not use this medication if you are pregnant. It could cause harm to the unborn baby, including permanent discoloration of the teeth later in life. Minocycline can make birth control pills less effective. Use a second method of birth control while you are taking minoocycline to keep from getting pregnant.

FYI, this isn't just in Drugs.com...this is a really well-known interaction issue with minocycline (as well as with other antibiotics).

If I were you, I would get a new doctor. The one who told you there is no interaction is an idiot. What was he planning on telling you if you got pregnant? "Oops"? He has access to the PDR and should have looked it up if he was so dumb not to know it in the first place when he was prescribing the drug to you.

Comment

NYer tone it down please! Fine, recommend a new doctor if you want but I don't want anyone calling anyone else's doc an idiot on this site.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Sorry Rebecca, for my choice of words. What her doctor said is malpractice and disgraceful. That really got my goat. Particularly when it's a doctor disregarding the real possibility of pregnancy.

Comment

Ya it goes to show how incompetent Doctors can be..
                although saying that she was quite helpul regarding the eye situation

Comment

Working...
                X