This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always take with food

I have been so careful for the past 5 or so months to always take my doxycycline with food, but I slipped up a couple of days ago and I was up for half the night feeling really sick with a sore stomach.

Be careful!

I kinda thought you weren't supposed to take it with food. I guess though if you can't take it any other way then you have too!

Comment

Doxy and food

The directions on the doxy that I get is that it should be taken at the same time as food.

Comment

Google seems not to know. First few matches for "doxycycline food" give:
        It is best to take doxycycline without food, but if it upsets your stomach take it with food.
        Take doxycycline with a full glass of water or other liquid to avoid irritating your esophagus (food pipe). Doxycycline can be taken with or without food.
        Food: Doxycycline serum levels may be slightly decreased if taken with food or milk. Administration with iron or calcium may decrease doxycycline absorption. May decrease absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, and amino acids.
        I was going on Effect of food on doxycycline absorption - http://www.jpgmonline.com/article.as...ast=Kshirsagar

In the present study, standard breakfast was observed to reduce doxycycline absorption significantly.
        Absorption of tetracycline occurs in the stomach and the upper small intestine. Absorption of tetracyclines has been reported to be impaired by milk products, aluminum hydroxide gels, sodium bicarbonate, calcium and magnesium salts and iron preparations. The mechanisms responsible for decreased absorption appear to be chelation and an increase in gastric pH.[4]
        Doxycycline has been reported to have less binding with ions such as calcium.[5] Schach von Wittenau[5] noted that doxycycline levels 1 hour after drug administration were lower when the drug was given after full breakfast as compared to when it was given on an empty stomach, though this was not statistically significant. At 3 hours and 12 hours after dosing, there was no difference between levels achieved after administration of drug on an empty stomach or with food.
        In the present study, significant difference was observed in the plasma values determined 4, 6 and 8 hours after drug administration, AUC and C-max being also significantly lower after administration of drug with food. The infrequent sampling viz. 1, 2 and 12 hours after drug in the study by Schach von Wittenau[5] may be the reason for their missing the effect of food on doxycycline absorption.
        Doxycycline undergoes enterohepatic circulation. Lower levels after food could be because of reduced absorption or reduced enterohepatic cycling.
        In view of these results, it is advisable to instruct the patients to take doxycycline on an empty stomach.
        That looks a little old though. I've done with and without food - would be interested to know what I'm actually supposed to do !

Comment

Oracea specifically states that taking it with food may reduce effectiveness.
          Current Diagnosis: MGD due to Ocular Rosacea , TBUT of 5 seconds

Comment

Doxycycline has terrible gastric side effects in some people

Doxycycline is absolutely known to cause severe gastric issues in some people. There is a a specific esophageal ulceration that is related to doxycycline - when they see that sort of ulceration, they know right away that it's from doxy. I was on Doxy for only 10 days back in February and that's what set off the horrible GERD I've dealt with ever since.

If you have a gastric issue from Doxy, STOP TAKING IT.

Comment

minocycline and doxy

I too feel that it is absolutely necessary to eat something when taking the Doxy or Minocycline. I was on Minocen for 3 years and I always had to eat something when taking it. I also did the probiotics.

The minocen worked great, but I think I've become resistant to it. I've asked this before and I know nothing is for sure, but does anyone know if you can resume an antibiotic that you're resistant to after discontinuing it for a year or two and regain effectiveness?

Thanks much!!!

Comment

Working...
              X