X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loss of appetite due to Doxycycline?

Hi,

I started Doxycycline 20mg daily about 15 days ago and have noticed worsening nausea and loss of appetite.

I already have these issues due to Multiple Sclerosis but not this bad. Is anyone on Doxy and if so have you noticed a loss of appetite? If so is there anything to help with that?

I was thinking of adding probiotics to my diet which may help replace the good flora destroyed by the antibiotic. I'm just not sure what to take and how much.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Debbie Z

Hi Debbie

My appetite isn't always that good but I wouldn't put it down to doxy. I had Hiatal Hernia some years ago and suffer with Barrett's Oesophagus - so that in itself can make me feel a bit out of sorts. I have never had the nausea though. I would seek advice on that one.

My GP suggested I take a supplement called Acidophilus. This is `beneficial bacteria' that makes up for the good flora that can be destroyed by antibiotics. I just take 1 or 2 (100mg) capsules daily. It hasn't done much for my appetite but it seems sensible to continue taking it.

Comment

Thank you Irish Eyes,

I will talk with my GP and Eye doc about the loss of appetite. I love to eat so this symptom is just not acceptable to me. With the MS I can usually manage the nausea with Zofran but this time it's kicking my butt.

Since I will be on the Doxy for a while (it really has helped the MGD) I will have to get a probiotic to help settle my tummy.

Thanks for your help. Happy Holidays,

DebbieZ

Comment

Working...
      X