This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to use Doxy?

How do you know if you should be pushing your doctor to put you on Doxy or Mino?

I have plugs in both eyes, 15mm and 20mm shirmer readings, 4-5sec TBUT and my eyes have a constant burning/itching sensation. Steroids and allergy drops seem to increase the burning/dry feeling and most of the lubricating drops just add an extra feeling of aggitation.

I take at least 2000-4000mg flax seed oil per day. Seems like I always have a good bit of a goey substance under the lower lid.

You sound like a good candidate because you have great shirmer scores yet low TBUT which means you probably have meibomiam gland problems or MGD.That means you are not producing enough oil.

I would check into it.

Best wishes
    Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

Another weird thing that I've noticed, I sometimes get strands of mucus on the eye that blurr the vision, I guess its just another indication that I've got problems with the oil and mucus layers on the eye.
      Last edited by Aaron77; 26-Jun-2009, 13:51.

Comment

blurry vision go away plz

I have problems trying to get meds sometimes too... think it's the anxiety. If you got disease though, it will be visible and imo you are entitled to get treated.

Had a damn throat ulcer recently from the doxy so I had to stop taking it and now my eyes are getting freaking dry, I'm like doubling up on azasite and some steroids they gave me (instead of doxy drops!!) and snuck a doxy pill yesterday anyway- had to! And restarted lid scrubs, boy those can F-up a meibomian gland.

Anyway Dr. O'B I'll be there in a few days plz gimme some doxy drops or something, blurry vision sucks!!!

Fun times, watch out for the ulcers though.
        Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
          How do you know if you should be pushing your doctor to put you on Doxy or Mino?

I have plugs in both eyes, 15mm and 20mm shirmer readings, 4-5sec TBUT and my eyes have a constant burning/itching sensation. Steroids and allergy drops seem to increase the burning/dry feeling and most of the lubricating drops just add an extra feeling of aggitation.

I take at least 2000-4000mg flax seed oil per day. Seems like I always have a good bit of a goey substance under the lower lid.
          Hi

I have been on Doxy for years but I'm doubtful that any of the doctors know which is the more suitable ie Doxy or Mino. In the UK, Doxy seems to be the preferred first choice of antibiotic for blepharitis. I suppose if I had experienced significant problems with it, he would have switched it - which ever one I tried. One of the warnings was possible photodermatitis when over exposure to the sunlight for a prolong period of time but in the UK, that is not a problem we have.

I know what you mean about drops creating more aggravation; I haven't used any today because over the past week, they seem to have made my eyes feel like balloons that are weighted down with fluid. I take a smiliar dose of flaxseed as you do plus I make sure that I eat oily fish and fresh veg. Can one overdose of stuff that is meant to make you better? i wonder.

Comment

Minocycline

I think minocycline is suppose to be easier on the stomach, I'm going to ask about this stuff. Hopefully the opthamoligist I'm seeing next week will have something to give me, I hate it when they tell me there's nothing they can do for me! Otherwise I'll have to wait a few more weeks before I can get into see the next opth.

Comment

you guys tried refresh plus? that one tends to do that less

Also I think doxy > mino as far as effectiveness.
              Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

I don't believe I ever tried Refresh Plus, will check and see if its available here.

Tried minocycline once for a bit of acne, seemed to help clear it up, was suppose to work against the bacteria and inflammation.

Does the doxy make a big difference when it comes to computer work? My eyes bother me 24/7 but they are really bad when I get on the computer, they get dry, sore, itchy and red with what seems to be an extra oily fluid accumulating in the corners and on top of the lower lid.

I hope so much that my eye strain improves a lot when I finally can get over the "dry eye", I just worry that the lasik may have permanently left me with eye strain problems even without the dry eye.

Comment

Originally posted by MGD:( View Post

Also I think doxy > mino as far as effectiveness.
                  Wondering if anybody has had any success at all with mino, I think it has less side effects so if it will do the trick for me it would be preferable.

Might be better to go with the strongest stuff first though, then I should know right away if its going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron77 View Post
                    I don't believe I ever tried Refresh Plus, will check and see if its available here.

Tried minocycline once for a bit of acne, seemed to help clear it up, was suppose to work against the bacteria and inflammation.

Does the doxy make a big difference when it comes to computer work? My eyes bother me 24/7 but they are really bad when I get on the computer, they get dry, sore, itchy and red with what seems to be an extra oily fluid accumulating in the corners and on top of the lower lid.

I hope so much that my eye strain improves a lot when I finally can get over the "dry eye", I just worry that the lasik may have permanently left me with eye strain problems even without the dry eye.
                    Hi Aaron

I can't comment on the difference Doxy makes when it comes to computer work. Like you, my eyes become itchy & dry, looking noticably more red & sore after too long looking at the screen. Mind you, I can't read much beyond a page or two of a book either.

Comment

How long before Doxy usually makes a noticeable difference?

Comment

Hi,

Doxy wasn't a magic pill for me, I just didn't notice any change. However i was happy to take it along with my list of other eye stuff in the hope that somewhere somehow it was helping.

Bernadette

Comment

Aaron -

It took me about 2 months to see a benefit.

HTH,
                          Gretchen

Comment

Today's opth. would'nt give me any doxy or other drugs, he says my eyes are still dry even with the plugs and that I'll just have to wait for the basal tear flow to get back to what its suppose to be. Told me to continue with the lubricating drops and gave me some lid cleaning stuff to try. Lubricating drops seem to just make the eyes sting more, the lid scrubs seem to help out but only for a couple of minutes.

Does not want to give me any drugs as they could make me sick.

I'm 7 months out from Lasik and I don't think I can afford to wait for the tear flow to get back to normal. I hope the next doc can give me something that will make a difference.

Comment

doxy

It is the only thing that is helping me. My eyes are still pretty dry but at least the inflammation (pain and swelling on the lids) is gone so I can tolerate the dryness better. I am thinking of asking my Dr. just to try and keep me on a lower maintennance dose b/c at this point I've only gone on it when having a bad flare up...

Comment

Working...
                              X