X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doxycillin question

Hi,

Is it suitable for MGD/Bleph only without any occular rosacea? I'm tired of thinking I'm better and trying all these natural remedies, drops etc and not feeling any better. I'm not a great fan of antibiotics, but may do if it helps. Can somebody give me more information about it.

The systane seemed to work at first, but like all the others, now seems to be less effective and although gives immediate relief, now seems to make it worse a short while later.

Thank you

Sally

Hi Sally

I also feel that much of this is done on faith.

I understand that doxycycline has a greater anti-inflammatory effect than tetracycline or minocycline - but I think that minocycline might be better if there is any gastric intolerance.

http://www.agingeye.net/otheragingeye/doxycycline.php

I swap between Systane and Vismed but neither give me complete comfort. They are the two that irritate my eyes the least so that's not saying an awful lot! My consultant can see that none of the drops / lubricants have been effective because the inner lids remain highly inflamed. I've had approval for autologous serum so fingers crossed.....

Comment

Oral doxy is used as an anti-inflammatory for facial and ocular rosacea. Google doxy and ocular rosacea and there are many hits that will explain to you how they think it works.

I have ocular rosacea and slight facial rosacea. Oral doxy has gotten me about 50% better.

Thanks,
      Gretchen

Comment

50% better sounds heavenly right now !

Melissa
        pianolady

Comment

Originally posted by SallyP View Post
          Hi,

Is it suitable for MGD/Bleph only without any occular rosacea?
          I can't comment on suitability but doxy is frequently prescribed for MGD with or without rosacea.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

I find it very interesting that many folks on this board have a diagnosis of MGD/ocular rosacea and have not tried oral doxycycline. It comes up over and over again. It is the first line indicated therapeutic for this condition and has many studies that show it effective. I am just not clear as to why more people are not giving this a try. Lower doses are effective and have a high safety profile. This drug has been around for forever as well so adverse long term effects do not seem to be an issue. I find it a bit confusing and am not clear as to whether it is medical incompetence or people don't want to take an "antibiotic" - even though the 50mg dosage is at a sub anti-microbial level and is well tolerated...

As I have stated many times, I have tried everything and oral doxycycline has thus far been the most effective therapy for me.

Good luck.
            Gretchen

PS - Melissa - I thought that you were making progress. What happened? Darn!

Comment

Gretchen,

I think I didn't pay quite enough attention to my eyes over the summer; although, it is by far that "scratchy spot" from the cyst aspiration that is giving me the trouble. I wish they could do something about that...
              I paid very close attention the last few mornings to open my eyes slowly as my lid is sticking to that spot. I quite possibly had an erosion a few nights ago. I bought some Muro drops today, and I will see what happens with them tonight. I have some lotemax that is three months old and was thinking of using a drop of that, but I am terrified of the BAK. I think I will try the Muro. Do you see any harm in that?

I had stopped wearing the lacriserts for a time this summer and perhaps I just let my eyes get to dry. I was just using drops.

I have an appointment with a new doctor on August 12th, and he was the one that wanted to try the IPL. I will definitely talk to him about the doxy. The last doctor did not want to try this as I would get infections, intolerance to the sun, etc. Actually, I went to three doctors that would not give it to me, and all three diagnosed me with significant posterior bleph. CRAZY!!!!

Babying my eyes for now, and not doing to bad today. I just have trouble primarily in the mornings with that spot. It feels literally like a knife when my eyes are dry. Thankfully, that eye is the wetter eye (12) and feels OK most of the day as long as I wear the goggles 24-7. The left eye is my dryer eye
              (8). It bother me more.

Tired of the burning though. Even when my eyes feel wet, they still burn. Is that the MGD or lack of oil? I think I need to go back to the lacriserts; they seem to help the most to relieve the burning. I don't think I was proactive enough with the drops.

Do you use restasis? Do you think it has helped? I'm beginning to doubt that it has helped me.

Hanging in there,
              Melissa
              pianolady

Comment

I use doxy and I don't have ocular rosacea. I have used doxy for a little over 3 years and it does help me. I originally started it because I had seborrheic dermatitis and mild acne. It cleared both of those problems for me, although I still get mild acne every now and again. As far as the eyes are concerned I think it has helped me a little, but not a lot. I'm sure, like most things, it is a little different for everybody, but I think it has kept my condition (MGD/Bleph) a little more under control, although by no means has it been a cure of any sort. Also, if you take it make sure to where sunscreen because your skin becomes very sensitive to sunlight and you will get sunburn very easily. I hope this helps.

Comment

Dave,

Thank you for the advice. I do hope to try it. It's good to know that I still have a few things to draw out of my bag of tricks.

Best wishes,
                  Melissa
                  pianolady

Comment

Here's what I wonder... Why is 200mg the normal dose for MGD? It is not enough in me unless I eat like a saint. I just wonder why they don't go up to 400 mg (which is still a safe dose I think). It's funny I was just wondering the same thing about azasite but happend to figure it out..

Also- it is great for your skin, skin so smooth.
                    Which is it? Is it what you know or who you know? Or is it how well you convey what you know to who you know it to?

-Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Gretchen View Post
                      I find it very interesting that many folks on this board have a diagnosis of MGD/ocular rosacea and have not tried oral doxycycline. It comes up over and over again. It is the first line indicated therapeutic for this condition and has many studies that show it effective. I am just not clear as to why more people are not giving this a try. Lower doses are effective and have a high safety profile. This drug has been around for forever as well so adverse long term effects do not seem to be an issue. I find it a bit confusing and am not clear as to whether it is medical incompetence or people don't want to take an "antibiotic" - even though the 50mg dosage is at a sub anti-microbial level and is well tolerated...

As I have stated many times, I have tried everything and oral doxycycline has thus far been the most effective therapy for me.

Good luck.
                      Gretchen

PS - Melissa - I thought that you were making progress. What happened? Darn!
                      I tend to agree with you Gretchen. I have taken doxy for years and although my eyes are still very troublesome, the consultant believes that they would be worse if I didn't take the doxy.

As with any drug, there are a number of contra-indications but these were checked out before any prescription was given. I have to have routine blood pressure tests because I take it on a regular basis but that's no big deal - thankfully it's always OK.

A side effect can be sun sensitivity but here in the UK, that's not a problem we have - although if I go anywhere sunny, I would use SPF cream.

I have a stomach problem and luckily, the doxy doesn't seem to affect me adversely but I also take acidophilus tablets (a pro-bacterial supplement) and I try to eat `like a saint'. (I had the stomach problem before I started taking doxy). So - life is hardly a bag of laughs but if something is helping my eyes, then I'll try and stick with it.

Clairvoyant - 400 mg sounds awfully high to be taken on a regular basis but I may be wrong. For some diseases, I think that 200-400 mg per day might be safe for a couple of weeks but then to taper it down.

Comment

200-400 mg of doxy is a high dosage. There are studies that show that lower dosages are just as effective, and have less adverse affects. 200mg is NOT sub antimicrobial and long term use is going to cause some resistance issues. In addition, you are much more likely to develop vaginal yeast infections (for the ladies obviously) and gastric/esophogeal complications.

I take Oracea which is a 40mg dosage - 30mg regular and 10mg slow release. It is made specifically for long term management of rosacea and has a convincing safety profile.

Melissa - the fact that 3 opthamologists have refused you doxy is outrageous. I recommend at this stage that you get yourself a good dermatologist. They are much more versed in the use of macrolide antibiotics for rosacea and acne and will be able to give you a good consult on this point. As for the IPL, I am going to PM you. I, for the grace of whatever great being is at play in the Universe, have not had erosions so I cannot really speak to that. As to the Restasis, I have stopped but that is for other reasons. Restasis can be tricky. If it is not negatively affecting you, I would continue. Anti-inflammatory measures are a good idea if you are having a flare.

Also, if you go to the derm and they prescribe you Oracea, ask for an "intro pack". It has a discount card that will save you about 25$ for each script for 3 months.

Good luck everyone.
                        Gretchen

Comment

Gretchen,

As always, I appreciate your good advice and comments.

Tried the muro, and it burned. I do not think I will use this again. I simply will be ultra careful in the morning opening my eyes with the drops.

I have returned to the lacriserts again, and I do believe they are helping me.

Thanks,
                          Melissa
                          pianolady

Comment

Thank you to everybody, as always, very helpful. I'm going to go to the doctors and ask to try doxycilin....fingers crossed a) they let me have it and b) it works.

Will let you kow.

Irish Eyes, always nice to hear from you, you always make so much sense x

Comment

For those who are currently taking doxycycline or have taken it, are you aware of an "average" time frame in which its effects are noticeable? I went through one bottle, taking 200mg a day but my eye doctor did not find them to be effective.

Also, my eye doctor mentioned in our last consultation that if Restasis is not effective, the next line of defense (or offense), would be steroid drops. I hear that the steroid drops quickly control the inflammation, but is it a temporary thing as all these drops seem to be? I would hate to take something that could potentially cause cataracts/glaucoma just for some temporary relief. It's scary to think that it the steroid drops do not work, there is nothing else this doctor can do...

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comment

Working...
                              X