This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minocycline side effects

I've been using minocycline for over a year now...and I've been experiencing some color changes: darkening of the skin (i'm not tanning...been staying out of the sun too!), darkening of the nails, and my gums are now greyish/blue color. I did a search online and found that this happens to a small percentage of people. I"m pretty sure its due to mino....unless I have some strange disease.....I'm scared....as if DE isn't bad enough, now I have to look like a freak! Help! Has this happened to anyone? Did it go away? Should I see my GP just in case? I havent asked my current eye doc about this yet...but I did ask my previous eye doc who said she never heard of such a thing. I'm thinking that GP can direct me to a derm, who might know more than an eye doc about color changes.

Geez Ody -

I think that you need to see a derm but if this is rare, chances are that they may not have any experience either. I think that a GP is just going to be totally useless here...is there a reason why you are on Mino and not Doxy?

At this stage, I would think that you may need to discontinue the Mino unless you can handle the cosmetic aspect for the benefit that you get for your eyes.

Big hug.
    Gretchen

Comment

Thanks Gretchen for responding. I can't take doxy because I'm allergic to it Thanks for the hug too.

You're right about the GP probably not knowing anything, so for my appt, I'm going to bring a print out of an article saying that it may occur in a small percentage of patients. I just need to make sure it is minocycline and rule out any other strange color changing disease. I think its time I stop with the mino anyway....the highest dose for over a year cannot be healthy for the rest of my body...and it only helped my eyes for a bit...I can't be on this forever. Sigh.

Comment

Can you take Tetracycline? That works too, but at higher doses.

Actually I think that it may be time for you to talk to Dr G about going to BFS for a consult. It seems like it may be time. When is your next visit?

Gretchen

Comment

Working...
        X