Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodium hyaluronate drop that won't cause deposits

Hello,

I am sorry if this subject has already been addressed but I couldn't find a clear answer to my question:

What is the ideal formulation to look for with a sodium hyaluronate component?

I am mostly concerned about crystal deposits from phosphates and such. I know the eye drop should also be slightly hypotonic, but does such an eye drop exist AND without preservatives?

I was very happy to have found something which fit the above profile (called Luxyal), but it is no longer being produced since the company that manufactured it was bought by Bausch & Lomb. :-(

Any help would be appreciated. If the exact product does not exist, I could ask a compounding pharmacy to make one.

Thank you!

Lilu

There's an eye drop sold over the counter called Blink Tears. Advanced Medical Optics makes it. Sodium Hyaluronate is listed last under inactive ingredients on the back of the box. They also make an extra strength version and I'm not sure if it's in that kind.

Comment

Hello!

I'm using Hylocomod and am very pleased with it. I bought it at the optician here (and they also sell it in some pharmacies), but I think it's the same as Hycosan: http://www.dry-eyes.co.uk/acatalog/Hycosan.html#a1

It contains 0,1% hyaluronic acid and contains no preservatives (supplied in the patented COMOD (COntinuous MOno Dose) delivery system and can be used for 3 months).

Greetings from Toril
      Last edited by Toril; 14-Jan-2010, 12:31. Reason: writing error

Comment

Lilu
        Look for a product called I-Drop in Canada.

Comment

Hello!

Thanks so much for all the recommendations!

I have been able to order i-drop at my local Canadian pharmacy and it's hydrating (although I don't think it's hypotonic), especially the .3% concentration. However, I am concerned by the phosphates in it and whether they might cause any deposits in my eyes!

I have the same concern with the other drops suggested. Then again, if you've all been using them and your eyes are OK, I guess this means they're safe?

Thanks again!

Lilu

Comment

Yes they are quite safe. The level of phosphates is very low and does not cause issues. The product while not hypotonic is on the very low level of being isotonic. The hyaluronan in the product holds 1000 times its weight in water on the ocular surface so it is actually reducing the osmolarity of your tear film.

Comment

Hi indrep,

Thanks for your response. :-)

I'm curious how you are basing your evaluation of the safety of this drop? I mean what qualifies as "very low" and how do I know the % of an ingredient?

With this one in particular (i-drop) I was concerned because there are 2 different phosphates listed, I can't recall what they were exactly. My vision has been getting a little hazy/less sharp lately and I am worried it might have something to do with one of the drop I've been using.

Also, a follow up question: if I use i-drop with a hypotonic eye drop or ointment, does this help? Because while it's quite hydrating, it's not as healing and soothing as the Luxyal I referred to earlier which was hypotonic (although that one also contained electrolytes).

Thanks again,

Lilu

Comment

Lilu
                I interviewed the gentleman who invented i-drop a little over three years ago. The phosphates were a part of that interview and he presented the data that showed his drop contained much lower concentrations than those needed to cause issues.

I am not familiar with the other drop you are using. You might want to try using each drop exclusively in one eye for a week and see if you notice a difference. I prefer using the same drop in both eyes for a week. The HA molecule is such a wonderful molecule I would try it for a week and see.

Comment

Working...
                X