Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eye drops making dry eye/soreness worse?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use Oasis drops. All other drops bother me after using them for a few days.

Comment

Originally posted by dgreen97 View Post
      . . . my eyes were feeling mildly dry during the day but otherwise I didn't have much soreness at all. I put the eye drops in out of habit to try and relieve the dryness and after they soaked in my eyes started feeling more dry and sore than before I put them in. this is a weird occurrence because i thought this was supposed to fix the problem. the other question i have is why would using them more often correct this problem? is it because your body gets used to them?
      A number of people that I correspond with on a regular basis report the exact same problem -- very frustrating. It could be because there are brief periods when your tear film may actually be in balance. Consequently, the eye may feel relatively good, but adding more drops during these periods may dilute the lipid layer, which results in rapid evaporation of the aqueous layer.

My doctor just prescribed Lacrisert, which I will try later this week. Has anyone tried these with success?

Comment

that could be possible marc.. i didn't think of that. all i know is that when i sense some dryness my first instinct is to put in eye drops and sometimes it definitely makes it worse. does anybody have a type of dryness that makes your eyes feel squinty? what i mean by that is you feel like you're squinting when trying to look around and there is a mild ache in your eyes.

Comment

Over use of any eye drop can cause irritation and sensations of dryness. Most drops should not be used more than 2 or 3 times per day.

Comment

Dryness-related squinting and tension

that could be possible marc.. i didn't think of that. all i know is that when i sense some dryness my first instinct is to put in eye drops and sometimes it definitely makes it worse. does anybody have a type of dryness that makes your eyes feel squinty? what i mean by that is you feel like you're squinting when trying to look around and there is a mild ache in your eyes.
            Yes, all the time. My eyes are rarely comfortable enough to view the world wide-open-eyed, like I used to. I always feel that I am squinting, partially because dry eyes are more light sensitive and also because squinting seems to help minimize pain. There also seems to be a lot of tension around my eyes, whether squinting or not, which results in frequent headaches.

Comment

sorry to hear that marc... i know how you feel though. feeling like you're squinting all the time really sucks

Comment

Hi, I need to ask a question..it's not entirely related to this post but I don't want to open a new one so...

Is it normal that when you put artificial tears in your eyes, they still feel dry? It happens to me all the time, my eyes feeling wet and DRY at the same time.

Comment

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and I searched for this question but couldn't find it. Has anyone ever put drops in to try and relieve dry eye and it actually made it worse? I use walgreens preservative free carboymethycellulose 0.5 vials during the daytime and sometimes when I put them in my eyes get sore and seemingly even more dry than they were before. Any ideas? What do you recommend as the best lubricant?

Thanks

Alex
                  Alot of times tears from dry eye contain more salt then normal,if you use a hypertonic eye drop this contains salt and can actually dry out the eye. Thats what I read anyway..in fact on this forum. Posted by another member.

Comment

Working...
                  X