X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffering Dwelle on a sore dry eye

Hi all,

I've been seeing a number of posts about people experiencing burning when they put in Dwelle.

For those who get this initial reaction to Dwelle, I want to offer a suggestion here in a separate thread rather than have it get buried in an unrelated thread again. And please don't take this as urging anyone to continue if they don't want to or if they think they're having an allergic reaction or something - it goes without saying that you should stop in those circumstances. But for those who really need the help and are motivated to try:

If you find that initial instillation of Dwelle stings or burns, don't use it on its own next time. Instead first wet or rinse your eyes with unpreserved saline (or failing that, even a really bland thin artificial tear might do the trick) about 5-10 minutes beforehand, then put in Dwelle. Makes a big difference. You get the benefits without the initial irritation.

Personally, I get stinging with Dwelle now and then - just before bed if I took out my sclerals much earlier, or first thing in the morning in the winter when the heat's on, or just on a really bad day (in my bad right eye). But I've used it so long it's easy to forget what that seems like to a brand new user ('more burning I don't need!'). I know so well that it's the only thing that works for me that I don't care about initial stinging or if I do, I buffer it with saline a little while before, e.g. put in saline, brush my teeth, then put in Dwelle.

I would never try to suggest that Dwelle works equally for everyone but I also hate to see anyone miss out on potential benefits because of not having enough information to give it a real go. Dwelle is so often the tortoise not the hare. There have been a lot of people here who initially didn't like it but for whom later it became an important help... that is why I want to encourage those trying it for the first time to work with it.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I am one of the ones experiencing burning with dwelle but will try your suggestestions rebecca.Many thanks

Comment

I use both FreshKote and Dwelle, and yes, if my eyes are dry, especially in the evening, it stings. The good thing is, I can use a few drops of Tears Naturale Free vial, and then the F or D----and it still works (the Dwelle). Has the lasting effect that other drops don't have.

Calli

Comment

Rebecca -

I've been using Dwelle for about a week now and I'm sold on it.
        I dont experience any burning problems at all in either eye.
        Along with the rice baggy, restasis, and azasite, my vison
        has gotton much better in a short time.

That being said, I also take a steriod for Iritis infections and
        that burms me bad. So yes, buffering your eyes with something
        neutral first is a great trick that works nicely for me.

My pharmacist said to also put the Azasite in the freig and
        then use it to prevent burning.

Maybe people can try that with Dwelle also?

Mike
        My Dry Eye Story:
        http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7575#post47575

Comment

I am so glad to hear your vision is getting better!!

Originally posted by msny View Post
          Rebecca -
          My pharmacist said to also put the Azasite in the freig and
          then use it to prevent burning.

Maybe people can try that with Dwelle also?
          Refrigeration can be great for a lot of things but unfortunately not for Dwelle. It can cause it to gel.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Is Dwelle appropriate for people suffering from Ocular Allergies? I also have dry eye...but have had some horrible allergies lately and my eyes have been burning, stinging, red, ITCHY! It goes from bad to moderate to almost normal/normal and back to bad througout the day or week. I'm on Pataday. Can I still try to use Dwelle morning and night? I tried one drop in each eye tonight and it burned and itched bad for a few minutes, got redder...and then went away. I'd still like to give it a try for a while....

Comment

Yes it's fine. (Only potential issue is not related to general ocular allergies, just if you have an allergy or sensitivity to an ingredient.) In fact personally I find that the better lubricated I keep my eyes, the less I suffer from eye allergy or mild conjunctivitis type symptoms.

If you put it in your eyes when they're at the driest times of day - for many people that's late in the day or first thing in the morning - the Unisol 4 buffer thing is particularly helpful.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
                Yes it's fine. (Only potential issue is not related to general ocular allergies, just if you have an allergy or sensitivity to an ingredient.) In fact personally I find that the better lubricated I keep my eyes, the less I suffer from eye allergy or mild conjunctivitis type symptoms.

If you put it in your eyes when they're at the driest times of day - for many people that's late in the day or first thing in the morning - the Unisol 4 buffer thing is particularly helpful.
                Awesome, thank you

Comment

Just found this little blurb on Dwelle...thought some might find it interesting, think I'll get me some...F/G

'Elevated Oncotic Pressure/Complete Wetting

The magnitude of the oncotic pressure of various, commercially available, artificial tear substitutes have been directly measured by the means of a Wescor Colloid Osmometer.8 One artificial tear, Hypotears® [IOLAB Pharmaceuticals], appeared to create an initial oncotic pressure high enough to supersede the imbibition pressure of the deturgescent corneal stroma. The authors8 assigned the exceptional patient acceptance and apparent efficacy of HypoTears® to its high oncotic pressure even though the relatively low polymeric content of the formulation should not result such a high oncotic pressure at a thermodynamic equilibrium.

Since then, another artificial tear formulation, formulated for the primary dry eye, has been introduced to the market. Dwelle® [Aqueous Pharma] is an artificial tear that has unique wetting properties and a high enough polymer concentration to create a thermodynamically stable high oncotic pressure (65mmHg). The formulation contains three different polymers. Two polymers form a synergistic mixture that is capable of wetting even an intensely hydrophobic surface. The third polymer is present at a high concentration.

In a double-blind cross-over clinical trial against Tears Naturale® [Alcon Laboratories],4 Dwelle® has healed the ocular surface in twice as many patients as the control drop. In an open clinical trial involving a large number of patients, two-thirds of all patients treated with Dwelle® demonstrated complete healing of the epithelium. The remaining one-third also showed a significant decrease in Rose Bengal staining after two to four weeks of treatment.4 The patients also noticed that they could use the drop less often than other tear substitutes. Despite the high polymeric content, Dwelle® has a relatively low viscosity, about 3 centipoises. However, due to the high polymer (solid) content of the formulation, patients occasionally complain of the stickiness or crusting of the eye lids, especially if their dry eye condition is mild. However, when the ocular surface damage is considerable (Rose bengal staining is above 2+), the use of Dwelle® is justified and the patients will tolerate it well. '

Comment

So Rebecca, what's with Dwelle? I went to the shop to order some and got a message that it was not being manufactured at present. Is it coming back? or do you know?...F/G

Comment

OK Rebecca, save your eyeballs and typing fingers I found your post on your blog and it seems like I am just a few years behind the times...sigh...F/G

Comment

Working...
                      X