Can I overdue artificial tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I overdue artificial tears

I'd overheard a nurse in my Dr's office (after LASIK) say you can't over due the tears so I've been putting them in every hour but I just read something that said using them can supress the production of natural tears? Can I continue to use them frequently without causing a problem?

Dave,

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk!

Originally posted by DaveFl99
    I'd overheard a nurse in my Dr's office (after LASIK) say you can't over due the tears so I've been putting them in every hour but I just read something that said using them can supress the production of natural tears? Can I continue to use them frequently without causing a problem?
    You'll find that although it is pretty common for patients to be told they can't over-use tears, there are in fact multiple schools of thought about this matter - much as there are about so many medical topics. Personally - and bear in mind I'm not a medical professional - I am persuaded that in some patients overuse is a problem, due to a phenomenon Dr. Frank Holly (an eminent, now retired lacrimologist who has done extensive research in surface chemistry as it relates to the tear film) calls leaching of the ocular surface.

I wouldn't take any "internet advice" over the advice of a trusted doctor. But if you are experiencing a lot of discomfort despite using drops every few hours, you may want to consider some additional treatment alternatives. Check out our Dry Eye FAQ pages for some ideas.

Do you have punctal plugs? Are you on any prescription eyedrops (Restasis or topical steroids)? Nutritional supplements such as flaxseed oil? Other treatments? Do you know your test scores (Schirmer, TBUT)?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

No, no discomfort at all

I had LASIK 4 weeks ago today and I noticed that my vision gets a little fuzzy after about 2 hours without drops. I'm using a number of different drops trying to decide which are the best.

I spent 9+ hours a day on the computer for work so I wish I had discovered the tears a long time ago but I wanted some input on overuse. I saw my Dr last Monday and told him I was using them about every 90 to 120 minutes. He said "good". I just read a mention of the possibility of overuse and wanted to check it out because I'm just pouring them in - they feel so good. It's almost like I've replaced the cigarettes I gave up 6 weeks ago with artificial tears.

Oh, and I'm taking a flaxseed oil (liquid), fish oil capsuls, vitamin e, vitamin c, vitamin a and lutein just for the heck of it.

-Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFl99
        I had LASIK 4 weeks ago today ...I'm just pouring them in - they feel so good
        Yeah, I understand... I did the same after my surgery. Important to keep well lubricanted during the healing period.

I spent 9+ hours a day on the computer for work
        Try our blinkers.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Ha !!

That's great. I picked the Hellfire one. My co-workers should love this.

Comment

Working...
          X