erythromycin ointment on eyes for blepharitis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• erythromycin ointment on eyes for blepharitis

Is it correct to apply this to the lash line? Everything I am reading on the net says to put into eyes. I am using it for MGD. thanks..
    Jenny

Hi Jenny -

It this is the opthalmic ointment, I think that you are ok to use on the lash margin as this formulation is approved to go into the eyes themselves.

Good luck,
    Gretchen

Comment

eurothymycillin on lash line.

Ive just been prescribed this cream and my consultant said to really get it down onto the lash line..Ive demodex mites and posterior blepharitis..is it true that this cream takes months to work>Bye ..cb.

Comment

Jenny, by putting it into the eye I believe you will actually have more contact time with the lids.

Comment

Originally posted by cherrybrandy View Post
          Ive just been prescribed this cream and my consultant said to really get it down onto the lash line..Ive demodex mites and posterior blepharitis..is it true that this cream takes months to work>Bye ..cb.
          Hey, cherrbrandy, what did he tell you about demodex?

Is this cream sopposed to get rid of them?

Comment

Hi re demodex mites and eurothymycillin cream.

hello when i went to eye hospital i had a lash test then it came back positive for an overgrowth of the demodex mites..My eyes itch like mad at night and parts of face..these mites are nocturnal apparently and feed off the bacteria inside eyelids caused by blepharitis and makes the bleph harder to get to maintenance level..My consultant had high hopes of this cream eliminating these mites..therefore improving the blepharitis..Ive had it for 5 years now ..Drives me mad itching etc..I wonder if anyone else on this forum has tried and had a good response to this cream?I was told to get right down into the lashline with a cotton bud and it doeasnt affect the eye surface either?il let yous know how i fare with it?cb.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be waiting.

Meanwhile, I've found a study confirming it kills demodex: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15492433

I suspect my DES is caused by demodex and I've done lots of research on the subject and compiled a list of creams and gels etc. that can kill demodex, but my problem was I didn't know which of them was safe to apply to the eyes.

Anyways, if erythromycin should turn out to not do the job for you (although I can't imagine why it wouldn't), I've posted a list of all that other stuff I found here:

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=10668

Comment

All -

Dr Tseng uses a tea tree oil (50% diluted with other oil) treatment for demodex. Google Tseng and Demodex and you should bring up some articles.

Regards,
                Gretchen

Comment

Originally posted by Gretchen View Post
                  All -

Dr Tseng uses a tea tree oil (50% diluted with other oil) treatment for demodex. Google Tseng and Demodex and you should bring up some articles.

Regards,
                  Gretchen
                  The thing about tea tree oil, though, is that it's very dangerous. I've read reports of scratched corneas and even blindness as a resoult of TTO application.

Comment

Working...
                  X