No announcement yet.

Which OTC eye drops preferred by most?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which OTC eye drops preferred by most?

Which Refresh/other OTC eye drops preferred by most?

I've been browsing thru the forums periodically over the past year or two, as well as the polls, but without finding the specific info. I'd been seeking, which is:

Which specific easily-available (i.e. usually available at U.S. supermarkets) OTC eye drops are preferred by most people on these forums?

I've read alot about Restasis, Dwelle, Dakrina, Restasis, Systane, Genteal, Theratears.
    And, of course, Refresh.
    I've yet to see Dwelle, Dakrina, Restasis at local supermarkets, if i remember correctly.

So I've been trying out various drops over the years.

At this point, I'm about to try at least TWO Refresh eyedrop products.
    But which specific Refresh drops to try?

Refresh Plus?
    Refresh Optive?
    Which?

I've been spending hours on researching this Q, but still remain in the dark.

Added notes:

Thus far, I've tried Genteal (ouch, too cold/heavy)
    ...btw, my eyes used to just be sensitive. Now they're not just MUCH MORE sensitive from computer fluresence, but also dry due to prolonged computer use, complete with a floater in one eye.
    BTW, in general, my body tends to be allergic to BOTH citrus AND table-salt.
    Converseley, coffee-plus-humectant helps alot (as I testified on testimonials forum)

I'm mentioning this in case that's any clue for providing a tip re: which Refresh product(s) may be most suited to me, and suited to the dry eye sufferers at large.

Also tried:
    Systane - sorta OK, but occasional heaviness (or dry eye rebound??)...whatever...
    Soothe XP (the purple box) - ouch!
    Similisan (only the dry eye was/is OK, but occasional burning..
    PrimaVu (vitacost) - I suspect the Acuta caused me my floater, and the Herbal also caused me burning after awhile

Just bought:
    Theratears - about to try
    Blink Contacts (not preservative free) - about to try

Note that Blink Contacts has sodium hyaluronate at top of its ingredients listing

Apparently, eyedrops which are preservative free are next to impossible to find OTC.

But I need OTC, because I'm not currently insured, and in any case, had my fill of the to-me-criminal unhealthcare system (including eye doctors of all stripes) to last me a lifetime. (But that's a story in itself, & won't bother elaborating for now, especially since the topic of suffering is usually boring.
    Last edited by Minni; 06-Jul-2010, 17:57.
    CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Unfortunately the Blink drop has a short chain, low molecular weight sodium hyaluronate. This negates the healing properties available from long chain, high molecular weight sodium hyaluronate. It will not be much better at healing your corneas than other OTC products.

Comment

Interesting..
      My main concern though is, which Refresh is most recommended?

As for Blink/contacts, I bought that because someone had raved about it as being better than anything else she'd tried. (not someone from dryeyezone, rather a chatterer elsewhere, during browsing.

sigpic

Comment

Blink drops didn't work for me---I realized this after 2 days. Happily, there is a money back guarantee printed on the box, and I sent the bottle back (with receipt). They sent the refund check in about 3 weeks.

I call that good customer service.

I use FreshKote (prescription), Dwelle, Genteal Gel (night) and Tears Naturale Free (used only at night to rewet). I'm trying Theratears Gel instead at the moment (rewetting only---my nighttime drop is Genteal).

OTC drops only give temporary relief, with the exception of Dwelle, which is sold through the Dry Eye Shop.

C

Comment

I used to use Systane. The bottled one with polyquad as a preservative. It makes my eyelids feel a bit heavy too. But it had less bluring and seemed to be slightly more comfortable than a lot of the other brands

I currently use tears naturale. the preservative free one. it's okay, causes a bit of bluring but seems to not last as long.

i don't really like refresh. it seems to irritate my eyes more when i put it in. i use the preservative free refresh plus or celluvisc.

I use genteal gel at night before i sleep. It causes a bit of heaviness in my eleids at times as well. Of course, it causes a lot of white stringy discharge in the corners of my eyes when i wake up.

I haven't tried this before but has anyone used genteal gel before working with a computer and found that it has helped them to tolerate the PC better?
          If only I had known, I would have taken better care of my eyes....... I want to turn back the hands of time

Comment

Firstly, to Calli, it seems like our physiques may be different, since several of the stuff you liked, weren't compatible with me (read on).

Originally posted by rooneyandfergie View Post
            I used to use Systane. The bottled one with polyquad as a preservative. It makes my eyelids feel a bit heavy too. But it had less bluring and seemed to be slightly more comfortable than a lot of the other brands
            Shake hands..

I currently use tears naturale. the preservative free one. it's okay, causes a bit of bluring but seems to not last as long.
            Thanks for the info!

i don't really like refresh. it seems to irritate my eyes more when i put it in. i use the preservative free refresh plus or celluvisc.
            Which specific Refresh irritates your eyes?
            Because you do use the preservative free refresh plus & celluvisc.
            Are these available at places like my local Walmart or whatever?
            Like, what do I look out for, to ensure it's preservative free?
            Ditto re: Tears Naturale

I use genteal gel at night before i sleep. It causes a bit of heaviness in my eleids at times as well. Of course, it causes a lot of white stringy discharge in the corners of my eyes when i wake up.

I haven't tried this before but has anyone used genteal gel before working with a computer and found that it has helped them to tolerate the PC better?
            I suggest (at least occasionally), prior to computer, a combo of Similisan (for dry eye) + drinking a coffee that's tolerable to you, combined with ibuprofen, and sweetener such as xylitol, or splenda, or nevella, agave, turbinado, molasses or combo's of sweeteners. After the coffee, take Tums or calcium to supplement bones, to offset the coffee. Also after coffee, try taking from among good foods such as: yogurt (excellent!),yams, eggs, flax oil, barley grass, yada yada..

Some more info:
            I just bought the Tranquileyes, and found it pretty good, albeit I have further ideas. I was planning on discussing it with Rebecca, but it didn't work out yet.
            However:
            I found the dipping & rinsing out of cushions a nuisance.
            I'm used to reading books in bed, so may just shove it up to read then shove back.

I'd also ordered Dwelle.
            But the Dwelle burned my eyes which were sensitized by computer, whereas by comparison:
            The Similisan-Dry-Eye & the Blink-Contacts were both OK.

I still haven't tried the Theratears yet (it's in my fridge awaiting, but I'll get to it when I get to it).

Re: My hypersensitive system, I'm practically sure I should have been given Prednisolone long ago by doctors, but any doctors I've encountered have been medievally authoritarian by nature. I frankly can't stand their guts, and I'm flabbergasted that while invasive technology has overtaken the world, yet everyone has still allowed the medical system to continue its entrenched practices relatively unchallenged via the same standards by which scientists in other fields (say computer tech, or engineers) are measured by. Whilst the latter are expected to produce at least a semblance of effective results, however much they complicate them half the time, the same can't be said for the stealthcare system.
            Last edited by Minni; 12-Jul-2010, 22:37.

sigpic

Comment

I had been using artificial tears for last 20 years...im 28 now!Patient of SJS with severe dry eye.
              The eye drops soothed me most has been Genteal Eye Drops.
              I had been using it since last 6-8 years.
              Just before a few days i ordered Dwelle... Im using it since last 1 week...i dont see too much of a diffrence comparing with Genteal.Will use up the bottle.Lets see if i feel any improvement in coming days with Dwelle.
              I have ordered clinitas Ultra 3 too.Will use it up after i finish with dwelle.
              Genteal is my life saver!
              Really need to be a ROCK to take the pain!

Comment

I use Dwell also, but one of the most durable and most liked drops are Theratears. They have been around for a long time and if I'm in need and stymied because there are so many brands, I'll get Theratears or Refresh Plus.

I cannot believe the amount of artificial tears increase in the past 10 years. It still works best to try a few and pick the one you like best. Lucy
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I've used Systaine preservative free vials for 5+ years. At night I use some of the night ointmen just a tiny bit in the inside corner of my eyes (near the lower tear ducts) I use Systayne ULTRA at night sometimes. It is a little heavy but I think it works.
                  Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy View Post
                    I use Dwell also, but one of the most durable and most liked drops are Theratears. They have been around for a long time and if I'm in need and stymied because there are so many brands, I'll get Theratears or Refresh Plus.

I cannot believe the amount of artificial tears increase in the past 10 years. It still works best to try a few and pick the one you like best. Lucy
                    Thanks for the input re: Theratears & Refresh Plus!
                    How does Refresh Plus compare to Similisan-DryEye?
                    Because thus far, I've found Similisan-DryEye most soothing.
                    Whereas Dwelle burns my eyes (when they're sensitized by computer)
                    I've not used the Blink_Contacts long enough to judge it.
                    Systane is sorta OK (though mine is not preservative free)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minni View Post

I suggest (at least occasionally), prior to computer, a combo of Similisan (for dry eye) + drinking a coffee that's tolerable to you, combined with ibuprofen, and sweetener such as xylitol, or splenda, or nevella, agave, turbinado, molasses or combo's of sweeteners. After the coffee, take Tums or calcium to supplement bones, to offset the coffee. Also after coffee, try taking from among good foods such as: yogurt (excellent!),yams, eggs, flax oil, barley grass, yada yada..
                      I am a bit aback really. Do the things you mention above really help in the tolerance of computer screens? I thought coffee dehydrates, causing your eyes to become dryer.

Anyway Refresh Plus does not feel as comfortable as some of the other drops for me. It makes my eyelids feel a bit heavy. I dont quite understand why that is so but i do feel that way. I recently tried using Refresh Liquigel. Its supposed to be longer lasting with better protection. I have found it to be pretty good. Bion is another brand that I enjoy using. I currently use Liquigel if i know i need to do 'heavy duty' stuff like using the computer or driving. I mix it up with preservative free ones like Tears natuarale in between. I primarily use Bion in the morning. I try to mix it up with the preservative free ones to reduce the amount of preservatives that end up in my eyes. Some preservatives cause further drying. I have stopped using Genteal recently as i do not know if it helps my dry eyes or make my tear film more unstable.
                      If only I had known, I would have taken better care of my eyes....... I want to turn back the hands of time

Comment

eye drops galore

Ive tried so freakin many...they all seem to make my eyes feel better after I put it in but there is always a rebound effect that end up making my eyes feel worse as the lubricating effect goes away...the ONLY one that does not have that effect on me is Similasan...a natural eye drop! love that stuff! I have ocular rosacea and sjorgrens...4 drains cauterized...

Comment

I am a bit aback really. Do the things you mention above really help in the tolerance of computer screens? I thought coffee dehydrates, causing your eyes to become dryer.
                          Hi, Rooney, I typed more re: my experience here.
                          http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=11521
                          Note that I then developed esophagitis, but my eyes AND severe-headaches were actually helped by coffee. My esophagus, ankles & heart were adverseley affected. So lately I've been striking a compromise, and mixing only 1/4 tsp. coffee with milk, molasses & other sweetener, together with ibuprofen, to help relieve my inflammations & headaches, while hopefully mitigating adverse effects in esophagus, and elsewhere.

Also, I suggest you browse thru Amazon Reviews of Low Acid Coffee's.
                          Hindsight is better than foresight, so since I stocked up on alot of coffee, I may as well use them first.
                          Had I not stocked up, I'd defintely want to try the low acid ones.
                          I suspect they may be similar to chicory tea (which I have, and which I sometimes drink with Nevella. Infused via Cup-pour-ri infuser).

The jury is out, though, on how effective chicory or low-acid coffee's are for eye inflammation and for headaches, as compared to coffee.

Anyway Refresh Plus does not feel as comfortable as some of the other drops for me. It makes my eyelids feel a bit heavy. I dont quite understand why that is so but i do feel that way. I recently tried using Refresh Liquigel. Its supposed to be longer lasting with better protection. I have found it to be pretty good. Bion is another brand that I enjoy using. I currently use Liquigel if i know i need to do 'heavy duty' stuff like using the computer or driving. I mix it up with preservative free ones like Tears natuarale in between. I primarily use Bion in the morning. I try to mix it up with the preservative free ones to reduce the amount of preservatives that end up in my eyes. Some preservatives cause further drying. I have stopped using Genteal recently as i do not know if it helps my dry eyes or make my tear film more unstable.
                          ...just this past week I finally tried Refresh Plus, and found it quite OK for me, with no bad effects. Of course, I'd need to try it more often to know for sure.
                          Rooney, thanks so much for the tip!

Ive tried so freakin many...they all seem to make my eyes feel better after I put it in but there is always a rebound effect that end up making my eyes feel worse as the lubricating effect goes away...the ONLY one that does not have that effect on me is Similasan...a natural eye drop! love that stuff!
                          Regina, shake hands, cuz these experiences exactly mimick mine!
                          I absolutely love Similisan for dry eyes, but HATE both the price and their applicator which seems calculated to make people waste 1/2 the drops in the bottle. Why couldn't they use the same applicator as Systane?
                          This does not mean that all homeopathic drops are OK for me.
                          For example PrimaVu were absolutely no good.
                          In fact, the ONLY homeopathic stuff I'm enthusiastic about is Similisan. No other homeopathy, including creams/gels and "naturopathic concoctions" were especially effective, if at all. And I've gone thru many homeopathic practitioners & their "remedies". I finally got fed up.
                          Last edited by Minni; 11-Aug-2010, 01:24.

sigpic

Comment

I prefer to use Systane because it has a thicker solution that really soothes my eyes and very convenient.

My Ophthalmologist let me use it for a few days, but asked me to use the Systane preservative free tear vials as he thought the preservatives were stopping my ulcer from healing. He was probably right as 3 days after I stopped using it my ulcer shrunk incredibly. I find the vials inconvenient to carry, and such a waste as I usually just use a drop or two in each eye & throw out the rest.

Hopefully after my ulcer has disappeared I can use Systane again. I might look at trying Systane Ultra. Is it thinner or thicker than Systane, does anyone know?

Comment

Systane Ultra is thicker than systane. I just wanna ask a general question. If i have to apply eye drop after using eye ointment, how long should i wait in between so that the eye ointment will not prevent the eye drop from being absorbed by the eye?

Comment

Working...
                              X