TheraTears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheraTears

My wife has severe RA with the corresponding severe dry eye.

She has been using TheraTears for several years now. She indicated that it makes her eyes feel wet. I am in the surgical side of the ophthalmic business and always brought her home the newest drop from meetings. After she made this statement I called the company to ask what was different. The president of the company explained about the OSMOLARITY of the tear film and how the OSMOLARITY of a lubricating drop could actually worsen the condition. When your tear film has increased osmolarity, as in most cases of dry eye, the drop you are using must have a much lower osmalrity to balance the tear. When this is out of balance your tears are actually sucking the moisture out of your cornea. The inflammation, what Restasis is supposed to treat, comes after this stage of the disease.

This was proven to me a few weeks later when my wife said "The TheraTears quit working, it now feels like it used to." We looked at the dropper and she had opened a ReFresh packet by mistake and had been using them for a day. He also has a study that shows how these drops can actually increase goblet cell density.

She uses the preservative free and puts them in about every hour. 2-3 drops per eye.

Ive used theratears also - and I must admit, they do feel the most comfortable in my eye, but only for about 5 mintues. And they are expensive.

Comment

I find the single use vials of TheraTears to be much more effective than those in the bottle. They make my eyes feel "wet" for an hour or so max. The bottled drops only helped for 1/2 that amount of time and tended to make me feel drier once they were gone.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I ask ed about that, my wife had the same problem. The preservative changes the make up of the drop. So the preservative free are the best.

Comment

Working...
        X