Bad Reaction to Genteal Gel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Reaction to Genteal Gel?

I've been away for 3 weeks---a road trip---mostly business. At the start, I was noticing lots of mucous in my eyes--strings probably like Delilah describes. It got worse and worse. I was worried about infection, but it didn't seem like that--no itchiness or pain--just lots of mucous. I noticed some mold in the cap of my new bottle of "Soothe"...so I threw that away.

I bought some antihistamine eyedrops OTC, just in case it was an allergy and I stopped using Genteal Gel entirely, and the problem has improved, although there's still more mucous in my eyes than I've ever had before.

I just wonder what the heck happened? I was doing so well with the gel--and now, I'm kind of afraid to go back to it.

Did my eyes just reach another "stage" of dryness so that now only the mucous is left and there are fewer tears?

Has anybody else noticed a bad reaction to extended use of Genteal Gel/Soothe?

C66

Are you sure it is mucous and not just dried up gel? Do you have it only on waking or do you have more mucous during the day as well? Do you have it on days you don't use the gel the night before? I notice when my eyes are really dry, the genteal gel thickens up in my eyes overnight and looks and acts very much like mucous does. If you have this problem on days you don't use the gel, it could just be from dryness. I know that I developed a sensitivity to the GenTeal moderate, mostly itching with that.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Kitty-
      I wondered whether it was just the gel residue, but the daytime mucous was being actively produced, I think. I'd drag out a big glob or string morning, noon, and night, only to have more show up a short time later. I used the Genteal for many months before this, and in the same manner, with only good results and no goop problem.

Maybe I just over-used it and then developed this reaction.

C66

Comment

genteal gel

I have actually had problems with gels in general and ointments. Contrary to their main purpose, they always make my eyes worse. The gel makes my eyes VERY red and sore in the morning..instead of feeling better. My eyes dont fully shut all the way as a result from stevens johnson syndrome. I mean they do shut..but theres like a little slit that you can see if your looking at me from an agle...you know how they say some people "sleep with their eyes open" has anyone else experienced this?

thanks!

Comment

Lestacio,

I've heard alot of people with dry eye mention sleeping with their eyes slightly open. I'm curious...if you don't use the gel or ointment, how do you keep your eyes moist at night? Do you sleep with a sleep mask or goggles to help keep the moisture in? I'm pretty sure that I do sleep with my eyes fully closed. Sometimes when people sleep with their eyes slightly open the doctors can tell because there is a specific dry spot or line on their eye where it does not close, but according to my doctors, I do not have this. I seem to do OK with the GenTeal gel and a sleep mask at night, but the ointment did make my eyes feel worse.

Calli - I would think that maybe your Soothe with the mold on the cap had something to do with the problem. Have you seen a doctor to make sure it is not an infection of some kind??

-Shells

Comment

Originally posted by lestacio18
            I have actually had problems with gels in general and ointments.... they always make my eyes worse.
            Many patients report a worsening of symptoms when using any vaseline-type ointments. Gels are made differently, but, like drops, some work better than others and it's entirely possible to have or to develop a sensitivity to an ingredient or a preservative with frequent use.

Originally posted by lestacio18
            you know how they say some people "sleep with their eyes open" has anyone else experienced this?
            Not uncommon and often due to a condition called "lagophthalmos". For people with an otherwise healthy tear film a slight opening at night might not present a huge problem but those with a reduced or unstable tear film will be more vulnerable to problems if they can't close their eyes all the way while sleeping. Humidifier in the bedroom, protection (anything from saran wrap to an eye mask to tranquileyes may help) and drops or goop are usually indicated. Incidentally Dwelle and Dakrina are good at protecting during the night. Dakrina was the first thing to get me through the night when I was at my worst about four years ago.

Calli66:

Did you use the Soothe before throwing it away? How much? How new was it? Did you store it tightly closed?

Sounds like maybe you had a mild reaction to one or both products. Useful to get it checked out while it's happening just in case. Also, travel itself can be a major exacerbator. Airplanes and hotels are always rough on dry eyes, and climate change can add to it.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

Hello! Well, I'm glad this is a normal thing. Actually I really havent used anything at night up until a week ago. I got "traquil-eyes" from BFS, which are like foam goggles, that you soak in distilled water before bedtime, and then it keeps the eyes moisturizzed thoughout the night.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris

Calli66:

Did you use the Soothe before throwing it away? How much? How new was it? Did you store it tightly closed?

Sounds like maybe you had a mild reaction to one or both products. Useful to get it checked out while it's happening just in case. Also, travel itself can be a major exacerbator. Airplanes and hotels are always rough on dry eyes, and climate change can add to it.
                The Soothe was less than a week from "new." I used it at least 10 times per day/night during that time, and then threw it away when I noticed the mold. It was tightly closed, but I was keeping it in my jeans' pocket--all nice and 98.6 degrees warm. But I've done that before with eyedrops.

It was just so weird having all the mucous--like not having "dry eyes"--but smeared vision with irritation from the gobs. An unhealthy feeling.

I didn't go to the doctor--he seems to know less about dry eyes than I do. I do have an antibiotic eye ointment--and I used that for a couple days just to kill off any bacteria. But I don't think it was an infection. It was/is some sort of reaction to the products, I think. That's what really "knocked the wind out of me"--those two products had been working so well; I really wanted to believe that could continue.

And yes, the climate changes, motel rooms, etc. probably added to the reactions. I went from New Mexico, USA, to Florida (but not to the conference--I was there a week later). But we drove---went to places in rural Texas, Alabama, and Georgia. I was in pretty bad shape by the time we arrived in Miami. But nobody understands this dry eye thing.

So now I'm sort of "cold turkey" from the drops and gel. Dry, dry, dry--back in New Mexico---eyes, skin, nose, throat. I've lived here since 1976--it's truly Extreme.

C66

Comment

Originally posted by calli66
                  The Soothe was less than a week from "new." I used it at least 10 times per day/night during that time, and then threw it away when I noticed the mold. It was tightly closed, but I was keeping it in my jeans' pocket--all nice and 98.6 degrees warm. But I've done that before with eyedrops.
                  Drops vary a lot in their ability to remain stable outside room temperature. I learned that in practice with our own drops... Dwelle/Dakrina are vulnerable if left in cold temperatures too long. NutraTear on the othe rhand... I always keep a spare old bottle or two of it in my car where despite practically hitting the boiling point during the day they always seem just as good as new. Ya just never know. But I don't think pants pocket is a good place to store them. (Can't remember if it was here or another forum but somebody once posted about having open "single-use" vials in their back pocket )
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                  X