Sleeping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sleeping

I was just wondering... I've been using Refresh PM to help me get through the night and it has really helped. My eyes did not wake me during the night and they actually didn't even need drops during the day. But the past few days, I've used the ointment at night and my eyes have been hurting during the night (waking me up) and also really scratchy and full feeling during the day. Is it possible I need to change up the PM ointment or could I just be hitting one of those bad periods I keep hearing about where nothing is going to make them feel better?

I'm using Restasis, which I've not noticed a difference with yet, but only been using for a few weeks.

I do the warm compresses in the morning and night.

I have a humidifyer going in the house all the time (since we have a woodburning fireplace with incert for heat).

I hear about the goggles at night, but have not tried them yet. What do they do for the eyes?

Just wanting to chat because this is a really bad eye day...

CG-

I understand. I've been "going through it" myself lately.

Here's a clip from an e-mail I received from Dr. Holly:

"With the short BUT (tear film break up time, it is clear that you have a
    serious surface wettability problem in the eye. I also note that you are using ointments. That certainly does not help wettability, it may be the primary reason for your very low BUT [Break Up Time]"

This -- perhaps not surprisingly -- came as a pretty big shock to me.

Ointments may be making me worse??

This may be something you want to consider. Dr. Holly's advice to me was to "stop all ointments forever."

Ok. I'll try that.

Is your dry eye primarily evaporative (enough tears, but not the right kind) or is it aqueous-deficiency (just not enough tears)? If it's evaporative, maybe you'll want to try cutting out the ointments, too??

Best of luck....

Comment

I gave up ointments in Feb. '02. I had used ointments from May '01 - Jan. '02. Dr. Holly almost literally held my hand for the entire month as I made the switch from ointments (Refresh PM and Muro 128 ointment) to Dwelle (available in the DEZ Shop) at night. I had a condition called EBMD (Epithelial Basement Membrane Dystrophy). My epithelium was loose and flimsy and parts of it tore off every morning when I opened my eyes. It took a month of using Dwelle and babying my eyes before I awakened without erosions. Dwelle succeeded where ointments had failed...Dr. Holly was right.

I won't make any claims of being 100% comfortable 100% of the time and I still have to be careful but I haven't had an erosion since Feb. '02 or the problems like I used to. I still use Dwelle at night and NutraTear during the day.

Cali Girl, I remember that 'full' feeling. I still occasionally get it but it's pretty rare. I think there are cycles of discomfort...could be season changes, too much computer time, the color of my socks ...etc. I don't try to figure it out anymore. I just ride it out with comfort measures and rest my eyes more frequently.
      Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Good God! Give up the ointments [wringing hands nervously]. That's what's getting me through the nights.

I've been reading up on Dwelle and Dakrina today so I am really wanting to give it a try. At 36, I really can't believe I'm having this problem. I haven't had any surgery, not pre-menopausal, in good health.... it's just such a bummer.

I'm just at the beginning phase of finding out "why" this is happening. Doctors are good at trying to give you the band-aid for the symptoms, yet leaving you with the cause a total mystery. I do know I was not producing hardly any tears at all when the Opth did the paper in the eye test. He did that bright blue slit light thing and all I got was an Rx for Restatis and a follow up appointment. Oh, the lower plugs did not provide any relief. So I don't know if it's just not enough or poor quality tear. It certainly is not enough though.

Does it make sence that is't mainly the lower lids that hurt and feel gritty towards my nose and not my upper lids?

Can you give me a link to where I can purchase the Dakrina Dwelle drops? I find lots of info, but can't find pricing or on-line ordering.
        Last edited by Cali Girl; 30-Mar-2006, 17:55.

Comment

You can also try Genteal Gel at night. It's not petroleum-based. Search around here a bit and you'll find many people really like it. I'm a NutraTear user myself.
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

by Cali Girl: Can you give me a link to where I can purchase the Dakrina Dwelle drops? I find lots of info, but can't find pricing or on-line ordering.
            Yes. Look at the very top of this page. Click on Dry Eye Shop. Then click on 'Lubricant Eyedrops'.
            Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Cali Girl
              ... Dakrina Dwelle drops? I find lots of info, but can't find pricing or on-line ordering.
              Have to apologize for this... We've had a number of people comment on the difficulty of trying to find them from here. Just got the links added today at the top of the page. Kinda counterproductive to make it hard for people to get our own products .

I hear about the goggles at night, but have not tried them yet. What do they do for the eyes?
              For detailed information have a look at the Eye Eco site (www.eyeeco.com) or for a quick summary you can look at the product detail in our shop (link is to the most economical set, there are 3 options available). Basically it's a soft opaque rubber goggle with foam pads around the eyes keeping moisture in; there are also removeable "moisture pads" that you can moisten and put inside them. So the idea is to protect the eyes from moisture loss when resting, or flying, or sleeping, or whatever. For most of us diehard dry eye folks it's probably not a substitute for night lubrication but some kind of physical covering for the eyes is helpful as a supplemental means of protection, and as far as I'm aware this is the only product on the market specifically addressing this need.

We just added the goggle (called tranquileyes) to the shop about a month ago to see what people would think. So far most of the feedback has been quite positive. Seems as though most are applying a lubricant (such as Dwelle or Genteal Gel) before putting on the goggle. The one issue that has been coming up with using tranquileyes overnight is the difficulty of keeping it on your head. It has a strap they call a "comfort wrap" but for some people that does not suffice to hold it in place. I've been trying to collect suggestions from users. Something like a headband to put over it may work.
              Last edited by Rebecca Petris; 31-Mar-2006, 09:08.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Ordered

Okay, I just placed an order for the trial size of the day and night drops... let you know how they work. Thanks so much

Comment

I received my TranquilEyes yesterday. Thanks Rebecca for the prompt service, as usual! To be honest, the jury is still out regarding benefit, but there is so much else going on with my eyes right now that I don't know what is causing what and what is helping what! I had no difficulty at all with them staying on. I notice that the comfort band appears to be adjustable. They are very comfortable and do a great job of blocking the light. These will be great as the days get longer.
                  Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I would definately give the goggles a try. Traquileyes didn't work for me, I'm not sure if I wasn't wearing them right or what, but I do wear some special swim goggles to sleep called Baracuda Goggles that have tons of padding at are very comfortable to wear. I can go w/out goggles at home, but in the college dorm, its just way to dry to handle without them. the goggles make a huge difference in me not waking up so many times at night in pain or needing to put in more drops at night.
                    -Amy

Comment

Originally posted by kitty
                      To be honest, the jury is still out regarding benefit
                      Glad they came promptly! Just a note on seeing benefits: We've only been stocking these for about 2 months now so I'm just starting to get feedback from other DEZ users but I will say that a common thread so far in responses is that it takes at least several days for a benefit to be noticeable. I think even Eye Eco doesn't claim to have immediate benefits - they say something like use it 20 min a day for three weeks and things start improving.
                      but there is so much else going on with my eyes right now that I don't know what is causing what and what is helping what!
                      Sigh, ain't that the truth... such a complicated puzzle to sort out, these eyeballs! Good luck with it all Kitty and I hope the TQ does eventually help. Just for reference we have a money-back-if-you're-not-satisfied policy so if they don't help feel free to just send 'em on back....
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                      X