Medical News: FreshKote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical News: FreshKote

I was happy to see Dr. Holly's FreshKote, which is available only by prescription in the U.S. and is the same formula as Dwelle but with a lipid added, mentioned in this 4 October 2010 article "Here's a high Percentage Treatment for Recalcitrant RCE" in Review of Ophthamology 1:23:

Here is the recommended two-month treatment cocktail for recalcitrant RCE:

* Muro 128 ointment (sodium chloride hypertonicity ophthalmic solution 5.0%, Bausch + Lomb) h.s.
    * FreshKote t.i.d.
    * Loteprednol 0.5% q.i.d. for two weeks, then bi.d. for six weeks. (Check the patient's IOP around week three or four.)
    * Doxycycline 20mg b.i.d.

FreshKote is becoming more widely known and used. Now, when I mention it to a new doctor, they have heard of it. Even the Walmart pharmacy where I buy my prescription has enough people on it so that now they keep it in stock---different from last year when I first began to go there for my meds.

C

Comment

I'm a bit confused about Freshkote. I use Dwelle and am liking it. I'd like to try Dakrina too. Why is Freshkote a prescription?

Comment

Nice find, Liz. - It is really, really good to see FreshKote becoming better known. Dr. Holly's drops have so much potential for people with severe dry eye and RCE.

Nanerpus... it's a long story. Being Rx means it's more expensive BUT it also means it's available in every pharmacy which is a very important achievement for these drops and makes them accessible to more people.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Freshkote is price gauged to hell, it's completely pathetic.

Just import Clinitas Ultra 3 from the UK, it's the exact same thing. Go to amazon.co.uk, look it up, and you'll be able to find many different drugstores, most that will ship to you at reasonable prices.

Or just look up Clinitas Ultra 3 on Google, sometimes it's cheaper than the drugstores listed on Amazon UK.

There's no reason at all to pay all the money they ask for prescriptions, or to even have to nag a doc for prescriptions, when you can get it by yourself, and for cheaper. Screw them.

It looks like Freshkote/Clinitas Ultra 3 will soon be the only Dr. Holly drop left on the market. Sad that Dwelle is likely going away. Personally when I took it I wasn't too fond of the lipid component and prefered Dwelle oeverall. But I guess it's just better for marketing.

Comment

Rebecca, is Dwelle "going away," as Roderick says?

I'm horrified by that. I believe that Dewlle is the only reason that I have not had an erosion in the past few years.

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by liz56 View Post
              Rebecca, is Dwelle "going away," as Roderick says?
              Not that I know of.

There's quite a lot available right now (all exp. 7/11 I think).

It is always a huge headache to get more produced and there is usually a significant gap in availability between production runs, and always the risk of new issues coming up. But going away altogether is another matter. If I hear something different about future prospects for it I'll definitely be letting everyone know.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for your quick response, Rebecca! I am relieved and will stock up again in plenty of time to try and work with any gaps.

I very much appreciate your keeping this precious drop available to those of us who rely on it!

--Liz

Comment

Working...
                X