Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most things irritate my eyes, what can I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most things irritate my eyes, what can I use?

I have had burning dry eye (blocked glands) for 7-8 months.

I find that drops which have lubricant or oil make my eyes swollen, watery, red and irritated. Sometimes this resolves the burning pain slightly but in the long term this just makes my eyes more dry.

The drops without lubricant/oil, on the other hand, don't do much at all. I find splashing my face with cold water to be just as effective.

Is there anything out there for sensitive eyes like mine?

So far I've tried:
    lacrilube (made things worse)
    simple eye ointment (did this for 1 week, just irritated my eye, no difference)
    celluvisc (0.5, 1%) (the least irritating, used this for about a month, but didn't really help)
    Refresh endura (again, irritating)
    Hypormellose (no effect, didn't help)
    Optrex (various) (no effect, didn't help)
    Pure castor oil (made things worse)

Theratears preservative free vials works the best for me - I find refresh to sting a bit, as well as systane.

Comment

Autologous serum eyedrops (made from your blood) work well for many people who can't tolerate commercial drops.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I have the same problem, I am hypersensitive to all the lubricants I've tried. Ophthalmologist agrees, and says that of all of the options, celluvisc has the fewest additives, but to use sparingly. Managing with nothing at the moment, suspect autologous serum drops will be the only option down the line.
        Last edited by y-gwair; 26-Feb-2011, 16:50.

Comment

I am sensitive to most lubricants as well. Bion Tears has been the least bothersome for me. Even though other brands have similar ingredients, there is something in Bion Tears that makes it less irritating for me.

Comment

Working...
          X