Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soothe Eye Drops?

Hey all!

I'm enquiring if anyone has tried Soothe® Emollient (Lubricant) Eye Drops with success? On the company's website, it claims that the eye drops features "Restoryl", which the site says is "an advanced lipid restorative that reduces harmful tear evaporation and seals in essential moisture, giving patients up to 8 hours of relief from discomfort."

I'm from Canada and the product isn't yet available. I'm thinking of ordering some from the USA.

Thanks!

Trevor
    Death to Dry Eye!

Trevor, I used Soothe after dying to try it and was disappointed. It did nothing and left my vision milky for about 15 minutes. You may have a different reaction. Worth trying. I only bought one bottle and it was hard to get in the US a year or more ago.
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks for your feedback...

Thank you for your story about the "un"soothing drops! I will report back about how they work for me...and I recently ordered Nutratears from the Dry Eye Shop. So far, I find THERA TEARS preservative-free and Refresh Endura work best for me...

Trevor
      Death to Dry Eye!

Comment

Soothe seems to be developing its niche just as Endura has. Patients usually prefer drops that do not cloud their vision for more than a few seconds, but for most of the newer drops there are certain patients who seem to do well with them which is why it is so important that we have as many choices as possible. If you like Endura I wouldn't be surprised if you like Soothe, they have some similarities.

NutraTear is a lighter, smoother feeling drop and sharpens vision immediately on insertion. It is not strong enough for all patients but it tends to be the most all-round popular.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I love NutraTear, not sure I've ever tried Tears Naturale or Endura and Soothe just keeps me cloudy for a looong time.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by crispen_2000

I'm enquiring if anyone has tried Soothe® Emollient (Lubricant) Eye Drops
            I use Soothe with success! But on a limited basis. I don't use it during the day, only at night, and only as a secondary drop. I fill my eyes with Genteal Gel right before going to sleep and that lasts for 3-4 hours. Then I wake and put in the Soothe. I might have to do this twice before morning. The drops seem to renew the Genteal Gel for a while, and they add moisture. They have a little micro oil in them (that's why it's milky-looking). As soon as I get up, I put Restasis in--even before washing off all the gel and drop residue.

For me, the advantage of Soothe is that it is compatible with Restasis (both have oils), and with the Genteal Gel. I had been using other, mostly saline-based drops for moisture during the night, and they don't seem to mix with the gel or Restasis and the bad combination burns and irritates.

I've tried Soothe for day, but don't like it. I wear contacts, and use Blink eyedrops for daytime. I try to stay away from too many drops during the day, since it really seems to mess up the tear composition in my eyes, which dries out my eyes even more.

I have been trying to follow the lead of some on this group--trying to lessen my use of drops, and trying hard to quit picking at and touching my eyes.

C66

Comment

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you for your "review" of Soothe Eye Drops. They arrived in the mail today, and, I have to confess - I quite like them. I would encourage other dry eye patients to try it and see if it works for them.

Trevor
              Death to Dry Eye!

Comment

I originally tried them based on the published study below. I actually like them fairly well, too. Before I jumped onto the new hyaluronic acid and castor oil duet, Soothe was my morning drop.

Here's the study I'm talking about:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

The effect of two novel lubricant eye drops on tear film lipid layer thickness in subjects with dry eye symptoms.

Korb DR, Scaffidi RC, Greiner JV, Kenyon KR, Herman JP, Blackie CA, Glonek T, Case CL, Finnemore VM, Douglass T.

Korb Associates, Boston, MA 02116, USA. drkorb@aol.com

PURPOSE: Because the lipid layer of the tear film is recognized as a critical component in dry eye disease, this study was designed to determine if a single eye drop of either Soothe or Systane produces a significant increase in lipid layer thickness (LLT) for subjects reporting symptoms indicative of dry eyes. METHODS: A double-blind, internally paired study was performed. A custom-built lipid layer interferometer, enabling characterization of lipid layer interference patterns, was used to quantify baseline LLT (OU) of eligible subjects. Inclusion criteria included: 1) presence of dry eye symptoms and 2) baseline LLT < or =75 nm. Subjects (n = 40) received a single eye drop of Soothe in one eye and a single eye drop of Systane in the contralateral eye. After the instillation of each test drop, LLT was reanalyzed for all subjects. RESULTS: The mean +/- standard error baseline LLT pre-eye drop instillation was 60.0 +/- 1.8 nm for eyes treated with Soothe and 61.5 +/- 1.8 nm for eyes treated with Systane. These means were not significantly different (p > 0.5). The mean LLT for eyes treated with Soothe increased to 124.4 +/- 4.9 nm (p < 0.0001). The mean LLT for eyes treated with Systane increased to 71.3 +/- 2.6 nm (p < 0.0001). The LLT increase from Soothe was significantly greater than that from Systane (p < 0.0001). CONCLUSIONS: In subjects with symptoms indicative of dry eye states and LLT < or =75 nm, one eye drop of Soothe more than doubled LLT, a 107% mean increase, whereas Systane increased LLT by 16%.

Comment

I'm currently using Soothe on my eye doctor's recommendation. I get the milky byproduct for a few seconds, and that's not that bad. But my eyes have felt heavy, and for lack of a better term, "foreign", since I have been using Soothe.

Comment

I have used Soothe for several years, but only during the night, in addition to Gel. It hasn't helped much for daytime, and for me, did not come anywhere NEAR fulfilling it's advertising claim to fame. I somehow keep using it at night, because it's easy to put in when I'm half asleep, it mixes OK with gel, and lasts better than other drops I've tried.

But in general, it feels "too salty" for me---can't really describe the feeling. The oil component makes it different from other OTC drops, so it's worth trying. I just don't think it's so wonderful. Yes, the lipid layer may appear thicker when examined by the company researchers, but there are so many other factors involved in making a drop work: comfort, interaction with your real tears, sensitivity/ reaction to the ingredients and preservatives.

Calli

Comment

I agree-can't put my finger on it, but "salty" sounds about right. It burns my eyes too much.

I have about 8 unopened sample size bottles of Soothe from the states that I won't be using, if anyone in the Uk wants to try them, I'm happy to post them.

vicki

Comment

Working...
                      X