2 Weeks on Fresh Kote!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Weeks on Fresh Kote!?

I've been using Fresh Kote for 2 weeks, 4 times a day. I noticed some improvement after just a few days! Nothing major, but enough to take the edge off the horrible burning I have. After a few more days I was able to wean myself off the several vials of drops I used every day, a major accomplishment in such a short time! I now use other drops only occasionally. I use a little ointment a few times a day, applied to the top of my eyelids and around the lid margin, which helps the most. I'm sure it's because some gets in my eye and provides a protective layer for the few tears I have. I know it may not be the best for the tear film, but it's the only thing that gives me relief from the burning.

I'm hopeful I will see even more improvement the longer I'm on Fresh Kote. In only 2 weeks, it's made my life a little more manageable, but I still have a long way to go. It's interesting and very sad that I found this treatment myself, that no doc has ever suggested it. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long to request it. Guess I'm lucky my doc had at least heard of it and had no problem in my trying it.

I'm interested in others' experiences with Fresh Kote, especially long term.

I've been using FreshKote for almost 4 years. It's effect seems subtle at first, but I think it helped me turn the corner in my management of dryness. I also use Dwelle during the day if I need to, to save money---I save the FreshKote for just morning and evening.

Just yesterday I threw away a whole box of Tears Naturale vials----had been keeping them around, but finally I realized that I won't be needing them again as long as FreshKote and Dwelle are available.

Calli

Comment

Did you use Fresh Kote more often per day in the beginning? I'm wondering if I should try increasing to 5 times.

I know it's working, as I'm able to go for longer periods without using other drops/ointment, but it doesn't give me the nice moisture feeling in my eyes like other drops as it seems to for others. It feels good for a very short time (after the stinging goes away that I still get occasionally like in the first few days), then they go back to feeling dry. So in between if they start feeling really dry and I really need to use something, maybe it would be better to put in a small drop of Fresh Kote or Dwelle to help me until my next regular dose instead of other artificial tears or ointment. I just don't want to overuse them.

I guess I also just have to be patient, which of course is hard!!

Comment

I don't remember how much I used it in the beginning--sorry.

Something that helped me get off of using so many drops is this---just wetting my lashes with plain water. Or take a wet tissue and dab your closed eyes with it. This takes away the immediate desperate sensation of dryness and "need" and can get you a bit longer before using more drops.

I think FreshKote is too strong to use more than 2-3 times a day. It produces lots of residue which dries up around the lids and lashes, even when you're careful to wipe it off after application. You just feel that debris as it dries up on the lids and it's irritating. That's why I use Dwelle for other times--it's a bit lighter, to me, anyway.

Everybody has a different response though. If you can just stretch out that interval between drops, your eyes will start to adapt. I find that with FreshKote, that if you can get beyond those initial uncomfortable sensations of stinging and flooding with liquid---past at least a half an hour, then you will start to get the benefits.

C

Comment

What is FreshKote? Is it a regular eyedrop? Or a steroid? Why does it have to be ordered as a prescription? Thanks for all the answers!

Comment

It's prescription but not steroid or antibiotic, etc. Look in the Dry Eye Zone encyclopedia
            here.

Similar to Dwelle.

Calli

Comment

I've been using FreshKote for over 3 years, now. I have to say that it's been the most effective, longest-lasting drop I've tried. Two caveats though: a) it's pretty expensive at $30/bottle and requires a prescription and b) I find it necessary to thoroughly blot off the excess or gummy strings will form between my upper and lower lashes. There can also be a mild sting upon instillation if my eyes are very dry. Other than that, it's a very comfortable drop.
              Recently, I also began using Oasis Tears which are very comfortable, too. I didn't really care for the "Plus" version, though.

Comment

Originally posted by calli66 View Post
                I don't remember how much I used it in the beginning--sorry.

Something that helped me get off of using so many drops is this---just wetting my lashes with plain water. Or take a wet tissue and dab your closed eyes with it. This takes away the immediate desperate sensation of dryness and "need" and can get you a bit longer before using more drops.

C
                Funny what we come up with to help us!! Lately I've been taking a cotton ball and wetting it with warm water, then gently dabbing on my eyelids and lashes. It feels really good and helps get rid of the Fresh Kote residue. I don't get the flakes people talk about, but my eye lashes sometimes do get gunked up with soft gel like stuff from the leftover drops that can be annoying and cause me to mess with/rub my eyes more than I should. However, I consider it a very minor inconvenience considering how Fresh Kote has helped me. I would never stop using it because of that.

Comment

Working...
                X