Miscellaneous user tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miscellaneous user tips

I get emails all the time from people wanting to share what's helping them.

I always feel bad when I don't manage to reply to them. I decided that what I'll start doing (on the assumption most of the people sharing these things on email aren't on the bulletin board) is just posting them "as is" here in case they're helpful to other readers, since that is why people are sending them to me.

So each time I clean out my inbox I'll post some of the things that have collected there....
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

From Gina, Feb 2011 - Castor oil

I discovered the CASTOR OIL treatment for my dry eye and blepharitis one year ago. I found a site (I have the info, but have to copy it at end of this message/response)

I use COLD PROCESSED/COLD PRESSED CASTOR OIL, the brand is HOME HEALTH CASTOR OIL, and it can be purchased from Amazon.

I use a cotton swab that is tight, no hairs. I squeeze a dot of Genteal Gel from its tube on back of my hand, then I dip the cotton swab into the bottle of Home Health Castor Oil, mix it with the Genteal, dab a dot on each eye lid, then swipe the swab along the upper lashes, liberally. The Genteal cuts the Castor Oil blurry effect beautifully.
    I bought a dark prescription bottle with the rubber squeeze thingee to bring along with me, with the swabs in a sandwich plastic bag, and a tiny Genteal gel tube for times when I am away from house.

At night I add the following to the two above, either Refresh PM because it has fifty fifty mineral oil to petrolatum and that is what I liberally swab on to my eyes, then use the Quartz mask for the evening. I use the some saran type cling to wrap around each eye cup so I don't have to constantly clean goop off the Quartz.

Another way I try to handle my dry eye is: Lovaza Omega capsules, two in am, two at night, Borage Oil gel caps in afternoon, L-CARNOSINE capsules because they are the magic caps to take internally for the eyes (and used in Life Extension Brite eyes, but not enough is in those applicators, and L CARNOSINE is best used as something you swallow. Loads of FLAXSEED MEAL with my breakfast, AND, liquid extract EYEBRIGHT, twenty drops in my tea or with water in AM and in PM.

Let me look for the place I found the info on CASTOR OIL.
    HERE IT IS:
    Castor Oil Treatment for Dry Eyes

Castor oil is a vegetable oil extracted from the castor seed. There are many uses of castor oil, from soap- and shampoo-making, as an ingredient in candy and flavorings, constipation relief, inflammation treatment, and even labor induction. Castor oil can also be effective in treating dry eyes.

Causes of Dry Eyes
    1. Dry eyes are the most common eye condition. Dry eyes are very uncomfortable and, if left untreated, can cause damage to the cornea of the eyes. The culprit of most dry-eye issues is allergies. As we age, tear production slows, which can lead to chronic dry eye, as there is not enough lubrication in the eye. Inflammation around the eyelids, known as Blepharitis, can also cause dry eyes. The environment, such as harsh winds and blinding sun, can suck moisture out of the eyes.

Treat Dry Eyes With Castor Oil
    2. Many commercial eye drops contain castor oil. It is possible to forgo the purchase of eye drops and rely solely on castor oil. Castor oil alone may treat dry eyes better than the marketed eye drops. Purchase a clean dropper, wash it thoroughly with soapy water, and rinse well. Suck 100-percent pure castor oil into the clean dropper. Administer one drop of oil into each eye. Repeat this three times a day or as needed. There is no evidence that this method cures dry eyes; it may only be useful for short-term relief.

Castor oil can be effective in treating Blepharitis. The castor oil not only moisturizes the eyes, but reduces the inflammation around the eyelids. Dip your ring finger into castor oil and dap the oil around the eyelids where it is red and inflamed. The castor oil will soothe the eye and reduce the swelling and redness.

Are Castor Oil Eye Drops Safe?
    3. One-hundred-percent pure castor oil will not cause damage to the eye. Talk to your doctor before using castor oil to treat any symptoms. Consider trying both pure castor oil and regular eye drops to see which one works best for you.
    Ads by Google

I'm so happy I was curious about the subject area of Vasoline because someone finally mentioned Castor Oil, BUT IT MUST BE THE FOLLOWING BRAND and is available via Amazon. The bottle is big, which is why I pour enough into another bottle small enough so as to keep the large bottle from going bad (I wish I knew whether one could put the bigger bottle into the freezer)

I began the above concoction when my eye doctor [name omitted] told me he was at a loss about how to help my truly awful dry eye syndrome. He had given me Restasis, and it works in its own way. And then the doc said that the carrying element of Restasis was the medicine within a layer of castor oil, and I investigated and came up with the above.

I guess I talked too much. But this works. The swabs I have are made by MARKET SPA, DOUBLE ENDED COTTON APPLICATORS, (I don't use the pointy end) I purchase these from Waldbaum's Grocery. I know that doctors do carry excellent swabs that don't have the cotton hairs hanging.

Let me know if all this info helps anybody out there.
    I love doing mitzvahs for everyone, no matter what ethnic group. This is what we all should be doing in this world. Helping one another.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
    X