Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Osmolarity comparison of drops and effects on dry eye healing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osmolarity comparison of drops and effects on dry eye healing?

I’ve been using Refresh drops for 3 months since my PRK surgery only to find out now that apparently they are the high in osmolarity and apparently bad for diluting salt levels in the eye which prevents healing? The idea of depending on a drop to keep my eyes wet for 3 months only to find out they're really not that great for my eye isn’t very comforting. Anyone have anymore information on this? Thanks-Mike

The Osmolarity of Various Artificial Tears Solutions
    Product Brand Osmolarity
    TheraTears 181
    Systane 245
    Visine Tears 298
    Refresh Plus 318

Originally posted by PRK View Post
    I’ve been using Refresh drops for 3 months since my PRK surgery only to find out now that apparently they are the high in osm

From where did you hear this ?

Comment

Click on the blue link in his post... it will take you to the source, which is the Theratears website...

Comment

I just thought I’d bring it up after I saw that indrep mentioned that when “osmolarity of the tear film is over 310-312 it corresponds 100% with dry eye/ocular surface disease.” And if Refresh Plus is really starting off with an osmolarity of 318 that doesn’t give me very much confidence.

Comment

Wow, this information is very interesting to me and I want to follow the thread for additional info. I have been told to use Refresh and only refresh by my doctor. I am also on serum drop. I began to heal enough over the last several months so that I am only using Refresh about 5 times per day. I rely mostly on the serum at this point. I had a 0 on three schirmmer tests and was using Refresh every 1/2 an hour. Now that I am not using it so much my eyes are less dry. Not sure if it is due to natural healing, the serum drops or the fact that I don't use Refresh very often. Any additional information about Refresh would be welcome

Comment

Well I was going through 10-12 vials of Refresh a day and I started to get burning and itching at night so I’m in the process of switching and cutting back to see if it helps any. I would love to get my hands on some serum drops, anything even close to the natural tears my body used to make would be nice. Human tears have things in them like growth factors and antibodies that help your eyes heal and repair themselves artificial tears don’t.

This link is on osmolarity>>>> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:KeSXEnCnn-MJ:www.dryeyeinfo.org/Dry_Eye_In_Depth.htm+Refresh+osmolarity+theratears &cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

This one is on drops

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...www.google.com
            Last edited by PRK; 26-Mar-2011, 08:52.

Comment

here you can find lots of info on osmolarity etc.
              It's in German but you do a search on product name...

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...Nr=%26pOrgNr=1

Comment

Working...
              X