Drops suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drops suggestion

I am currently using Refresh Liquigel drops once evry 2 hours, once before bed, once in the middle of the night, and once when I wake up. I am concerned that I should not be using this many of the gel brand as i just had LASIK three weeks ago. I am also concerned with the type of preservatives in this brand. Can anyone tell me if they are ok for someone who is in my current situation?

Also i use restasis, have been for about a month. This stuff is expensive and i am wondering if the goal of Restasis is a permanent improvement or is it temporary meaning I may need it forever.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Matt

Originally posted by inescape
    I am currently using Refresh Liquigel drops once evry 2 hours, once before bed, once in the middle of the night, and once when I wake up. I am concerned that I should not be using this many of the gel brand as i just had LASIK three weeks ago. I am also concerned with the type of preservatives in this brand. Can anyone tell me if they are ok for someone who is in my current situation?

Also i use restasis, have been for about a month. This stuff is expensive and i am wondering if the goal of Restasis is a permanent improvement or is it temporary meaning I may need it forever.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Matt
    Hi Matt,

Everyone's eyes are different. Generally, you can let comfort be your guide when using eye lubricants. Once every 2 hours is not excessive. Your doctor is your best guide for drops/liquigel use at this stage post-op. Your questions are excellent. Give your doctor's office a call and ask your doctor what s/he specifically recommends for you personally.
    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

I have asked and he said it is ok to use them but not to exceed 6 times a day. If I go over that I should use non-preservative kinds. That makes sense but I am concerned when I read stories from people who were fine after LASIK then at about the 1 month point there eyes turned to sand. I know that feeling because when I awake in the middle of the night I am struggling. If I had that feeling all the time I would go insane. I want to do everything I can to prevent this form happenning, nip dry eye before it hits type of thing.

I have talked to Dr. Holly and hopefully he will send me what he suggested (Dwella three times a day, nutratear anyother time)

This way I can give my eyes the best chances to heal correctly, make sense?

Comment

response

Hi Inescape,

Welcome to Dry Eye TALK.

I wouldn't want to secondguess anyone's doctor on something like this and so I have to echo Cindy's comments. I will just add a couple of thoughts:

The preservative to be most concerned about in artificial tears - one that is used in many, but which is most likely to be problematic for those with sensitive eyes or a chronic condition, is benzalkonium chloride. I am not familiar with Purite, the preservative used in Refresh Liquigel and I really appreciate your bringing this up - I will add it to the Encyclopedia next week along with some references. From a quick search, I see that there have been some articles about potential reactions.

The two best options are non-irritating preservatives or non-preserved products. I think that if your doctor has specifically recommended this one to you, you should consult him before changing, but these are all over-the-counter products, there are a great many available, and different patients respond differently to each one so it really is worth exploring the options.

I understand what you are saying about wanting to make sure the dry eye stays completely under control. It sounds like you're being very proactive with this already with the steps you are taking. If I could recommend anything else it would be to consider treatments/techniques to improve your meibomian gland secretion (a common problem for people who wake up with dry eyes in the night) such as flaxseed supplements, lid therapy or other approachs (please see our FAQ page). I'm no expert but when, due to a surgical intervention, there is nerve loss and thus less tear secretion stimulation, I believe that applies not just to aqueous tears but also to meibomian gland secretions (those are the glands that secrete the oily layer that seals in your tears and prevents them from evaporating too quickly). So anything you can do to improve the meibomians may reduce the symptoms and get you through the night more comfortably.

With respect to Restasis, I can't really comment much here. I've seen it used in a variety of ways, with some patients being kept on it long-term in hopes of a response after months. It's really a question for your doctor what exactly he expects it to do for you.

Good luck & pls post back about your progress!!
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I have asked and he said it is ok to use them but not to exceed 6 times a day. If I go over that I should use non-preservative kinds. That makes sense but I am concerned when I read stories from people who were fine after LASIK then at about the 1 month point there eyes turned to sand.
          p.s. Again, I'm not a doc, but I think the phenomenon you describe in many cases has nothing to do with how the patient treated their eyes in that month. I think it's simply reinnervation (regrowth of nerves after they've been severed). From my own experience, I had little or no sensation of dryness for three months after surgery. Then - wham. Yet I was extremely conscientioius about treating my eyes exactly as I was told to do during those first weeks/months. My guess is that the nerve loss itself may be dulling any sensation of dryness in that initial healing period.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks for the info, and sorry about the plug a doc post. i thought it was more general than that.

What you have told me has honestly freaked me out. Did you have any warning signs about your dry eyes? For example were you waking up in the middle of the night, or what did you test on that tear test? I am worried that what I experiencing at night is going to end up being my fate, and i will be ruined. I am a natural worrier though, that I admit. Any details you can give me would be much appreciated.

Also I talked with Dr holly and he is going to send me some dwella and nutratear drops. He said they are ideal for my situation. I will post back on Tuesday after i have talked to my doctor about everything. Hopefully by then I will have the Holly drops too.

Thanks for your response.

Comment

What you have told me has honestly freaked me out. Did you have any warning signs about your dry eyes? For example were you waking up in the middle of the night, or what did you test on that tear test? I am worried that what I experiencing at night is going to end up being my fate, and i will be ruined. I am a natural worrier though, that I admit. Any details you can give me would be much appreciated.
              Oops . I was just trying to be reassuring, actually, that I didn't think you'd make or mar your long-term prospects on the basis of exactly what you're doing right now.

Having dry eye symptoms in the first month, or few months, is very common; having persistent or permanent dry eye is not. Statistics are on your side that it will gradually subside, and it sounds like you are under good, attentive care which is great. If I were you, at this stage I'd relax, pamper my eyes, and not let my finger stray near that worry button for at least a few months.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
              X