Downsides of nightly ointment use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downsides of nightly ointment use?

A few years ago I tried using ointment at night for just a few days until I read something about it being bad for your eyes in some way. I can't remember what it was though. Is there any cause for concern with ointments, for example plugging up your already plugged glands, or depriving your eyes of oxygen, or anything? I'm considering whether to give it another shot and see if my eyes stop being foggy in the morning. My dry eye is generally quite mild, but something is going on at night.

I am wondering this too...

Thanks for asking this question, because I am wondering the same thing... does it clog up the meibomian glands? what about the lacrimal glands? etc.

In my case, I used Genteal PM ointment for a few weeks and it made my lids swell and I got little veins on my upper eyelid. And they have been that way ever since :-(

When I am eventually cured of MGD (and I WILL be cured!), I am not sure if this swelling will go away, though I hear that it does - especially with IPL and especially after intraductal probing.

I may be allergic to something specifically in Genteal PM or I could be allergic to Mineral Oil or petrolatum? I'm not sure so I am getting tested for this sensitivity.

Refresh PM has no preservative in it - just mineral oil and petroleum oil, but I thick it is too viscous and hurts my eyes at night.

Lacrilube (I haven't tried) but has a preservative in it and I happen to know I am allergic or irritated by most preservatives.

My eyes are SOO dry at night and that GenTeal PM ointment did just what I wanted it to do...

Comment

I use Muro 128 ointment (not drops) at night and my ophthalmologist says it's safe for every night.

I know that other DEZ members who suffer from RCEs use Muro 128 ointment at night.

Muro 128 ointment is behind-the-counter altho not an Rx.

Comment

Muro and Refresh Ointments both burned and irritated my eyes. Systane Ointment is the only one that didn't bother me. Since using ointment at night, I have had fewer plugged glands, and less light sensitivity during the day. The mucous output has also improved, although still there. Systane contains more petroleum than Refresh, and less mineral oil. For years I've had problems with dry patches of skin. The only thing that heals these spots is vaseline, covered with a band aid for a few days. The eye ointment is a variation on the same old theme, with eyelids being the band aids. How strange that it seems to work the same way: sealing the moisture in and hopefully, helping the eyes heal.

Comment

I've wondered about the problems with ointments as well, although I can't make it through the night without it. I have found that if I put a few drops of preservative-free tears into my eyes after I use the ointment, the ointment thickness doesn't bother me as much. There is another brand of preservative-free ointment -- I think it's a Systane product, you might try if the Refresh PM bothers you too much. It has a different percentage of the mineral oil & petroleum than the Refresh.

Comment

I tried the Systane ointment last night. I've been up for an hour and a half and I still have "greasy" vision - not terrible, but variable from blink to blink. Glare/fog is much worse with this vaseline in my eyes than from whatever the normal cause is. This may or may not be therapeutic in the long run, but I'm not sure I can tolerate it.

Comment

I have not posted for ages because i have my bleph/MGD/dry eyes under control

I could not manage at night without antibacterial ointment to lid margins and have used this for years now
              My nightly routine =
              steaming for 5 mins ,massage, cleansing with occusoft, rinsing,then applying chloramphenical eye ointment to lid margins with a q tip,then applying drops liberally, then vasaline to outer lids, and i am ready for bed
              whole procedure takes 15 mins
              I find the ointment ok - I can even read in bed ,blurriness goes after a few mins for me I wake in the morning and although it can be blurry for a few mins after i wake its well worth it as i hardly ever use drops during the day anymore and my lids are no longer dry as i dont wash off the vasaline until following evening
              If ointments were really harmful to the eyes they would not be passed by the very strigent laws governing drugs in both USA and Europe
              Its better than having your corneas dry out and lids sticking to the eye balls causing erotions
              I have just experimented and found what worked for me

Comment

Working...
              X