Is gel bad for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is gel bad for you?

I read awhile back that using the gel is really in the long run bad for our eyes, I find that when I use the gel over a time my eyes will feel better, when I'm going through a bad spell I use them even during the day, and at work, which is frustrating because the blurring sort of puts you out of commission for a bit. Any thoughts on this would be great.

I don't know whether it's bad for you per se but different gels can do different things. For instance, the ointments (like Refresh PM) can irritate some people but not others. They also apparently soften the cornea (and eye doctor told me that). I don't know if that is bad or just something it does though. There is a theory that they can make MGD situations worse too.
    Gels like Genteal, contain a preservative that isn't considered one of the bad ones (BAK) but can be irritating for some people.

I try to use them as needed but sparingly. If I can do something else, then I go that route but there are times when gels or ointments are the only thing that makes life bearable (in the winter especially) and an ointment is better than pure agony.

If they are helping you, they probably aren't causing irritation and that's a good thing.

Comment

Gels are created to help retention time on the ocular surface. The bad news is this creates friction on the lids with each blink. This friction can cause inflamed irritated lids to be further irritated. My preference would be to only use gel products at nigh when the lids are not blinking.

Comment

Indrep - Can you explain the friction thing? I was under the impression friction was caused because there wasn't any moisture on the eye surface. Is there a stickiness to the gels that I'm not feeling and that's what's causing the friction or is it something else?
        Thanks!

Comment

PotatoCakes,
          The natural tears are made mostly of water which offers very little resistance to the lids as they move over the ocular surface. In fact as the lids close some of the tears are pushed in between the lid margins and when the lids open these tears along with the new ones secreted by the lacrimal glands wash across the ocular surface. The gel products by their design are not as easily moved by the lids so the lids move over the gel creating friction between the gel and lid margin and underside of the lid. For those that already have inflamed, irritated lids this exacerbates the problem. Imagine a baseball and your finger sliding over the smooth leather and then coming in contact with the seam.

The ideal eye drop is viscoadaptive in nature like your natural tear, when the lids blink it thins and offers no resistance to the lids and then when the lids open the tear is allowed to thicken.

Comment

Thank you, that makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Working...
            X