Need a replacement for Soothe XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a replacement for Soothe XP

Just found that the only eye drop that gives me relief is off the market because of a preservative problem(Soothe XP). Anyone else found something that works as good as soothe XP? I have adequate tear production but evidently my tears are not good enough. I am in agony. Please help. It is killing me to read this site because my eyes are burning so badly.
    Marsha G

Systane Balance?

I believe Soothe XP is one of hte "lipid based" lubricant drops that is supposedly better for lipid deficienct tear film. So is Systane Balance.

Both have mineral oil as the lipid substitute, I think.

I can't use either because they both really irritate my eyes.

Comment

Systane Balance does seem to be very similar to Soothe XP. I, also, can't use either but did for a short time. They both felt great at first but then I had a reaction to them.

Comment

Hi Marcia,
        I have the same problem with the lipid layer and Systane Balance works the best for me. It contains Polyquad as a preservative. I started out with TheraTears. They helped a great deal with the grittiness and burning. Then I moved to Systane Balance and used the Systane Ointment at night for a couple of months, then quit the ointment. The ointment helped with light sensitivity and I also needed less drops during the day. The routine is now down to the usual steaming, scrubbing, massaging, rinsing with saline, Restasis, fish oil, and Balance. It has all made a difference. Still not like the old days though. So sorry you are not feeling well. I understand, and hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsha G View Post
          Just found that the only eye drop that gives me relief is off the market because of a preservative problem(Soothe XP). Anyone else found something that works as good as soothe XP? I have adequate tear production but evidently my tears are not good enough. I am in agony. Please help. It is killing me to read this site because my eyes are burning so badly.
          Marsha G
          It is present at a level of 1 ppm(parts per million). It is the exact same molecule as the active ingredient that is present in a product called Baquacil which is used as a sanitizer in swimming pools as a replacement of chlorine and bromine containing products. In swimming pools, it appears to be used in concentrations 30 to 50 times HIGHER then in SootheXP. The concentration of 1 ppm was found to be effective against biological contaminants by passing a series of FDA prescribed PET (preservative efficacy test) challenges.

If the use of this preservative is non-irritating, safe and efficacious at levels 50 times higher in swimming pools, there should be no issues of irritation for most members of the general population at the 1 ppm level...

If Bausch and Lomb had no problems with 'preservative levels' from 2007 to early 2011, the investigation of process variables resulting in the sudden onset of production irregularities should be simple and straightforward. Otherwise, something else is going on... This may be inferred in that SootheXP is conspicuously absent from the Bausch and Lomb product line-up page...

Comment

Working...
          X