Generic OTC overnight ointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic OTC overnight ointment

I started using a walgreens generic overnight ointment in conjunction with my tranquil goggles (which i've been using for over a year) and the next morning was hell. I woke up with extreme bloodshot eyes, burning, globs of greenish white-ish mucus. I continued using it for the next 2 nights before I decided I'd had enough.

My question: is this some sort of allergic reaction? I've never had any allergy issues so I lean toward more an issue of hypoxia or clogging of the glands.

Hi there - it could be an allergic reaction if you're allergic or sensitive to lanolin which is used in most of the ointments. I also think hypoxia is a good guess. Lately, the same has been happening to me too so I've been using gel drops at night instead.

Comment

Exactly the same bloodshot eyes in the morning for me too!!

This has been a HUGE issue for me.

So, I have lagophtalmos AND lid wiper's epitheliopathy - both of which need nighttime ointment.

BUT, everyone on the site seems to think you shouldn't use ointment because it clogs the glands.

AND, no matter which ointment I use - Genteal Nighttime, Refresh PM, etc. - my eyes always seem to react to it. It might be an allergic reaction to petroleum or mineral oil since those are the only ingredients in Refresh PM.

Also, before someone gets LASIK, I think they should be tested for allergies to all the major eye drop ingredients - like CMC, petroleum, povidone, etc. etc. Because I can't seem to tolerate any of them and it makes my dry eye worse.

Oh, by the way, Steve. FML is avaiable as an ointment - FML Ointment 0.1%. I can tolerate that very well. My eyes feel great and are bright white in the morning when I wake up. I guess because the steroid kills the inflammation that the petroleum causes.

But, before you think you have found a solution - unfortunately you can't take steroids forever...

Comment

NME: Just wondering what you are thinking about environmental/airconditioning allergies - you were saying it all began when you moved into your new apartment? Any improvement away from home? http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...y-9-months-now
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Actually, I move out next week! I hope it will help something. I'll let you know.

Comment

Working...
          X