Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone experience inflamed throat with artificial tears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone experience inflamed throat with artificial tears?

Hi there, I have recently increased my use of artificial tears. For about a week now I have been noticing raw red patches on the back of my throat. . . no swollen glands, no fever. I was wondering if it was possible that the artificial tears could be causing this? I am using Theratears 3x/day and Oasis Tears Plus 2x /day. Anyone have a similar experience? Also I do not have any plugs, so the tears are draining down my throat.

Thanks!

Hi there ~ Mermaid pinches closed the tear ducts for at least 15 seconds after all drops, including artificial tears. If she can taste them afterwards, she knows she hasn't done it long enough for them to disperse. Also, she wipes off surrounding eye skin with warm water cotton wool if not needed there to reduce possiblity of reaction to long-term use. No doc ever told us this, but I am happier if she doesn't absorb eg steroids and antibacterials systemically.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Hi littlemermaid, I actually just came back from a visit with my optometrist and she too mentioned the idea of closing off the tear duct. I would have to agree that one would not want to be absorbing the tears or medications systemically. i 'll remember to wipe away any excess as well.

thank you for your response.

bella

Comment

Even though they aren't intended to be in the throat, I'd be suspiscious that there may be a little allergy going on. I'd suspect the theratears more than the OASIS tears. I have a little allergy or sensitivity to theratears but can't now remember which ingredient or if it was an "unknown". I normally try to avoid Sodium Hydroxide and BAK, which after investigating these online it seems I'm not the only one sensitive to those. After trying about 15 different drops, I found that OASIS doesn't bother me.

Mary

Comment

HI Mary,
          I have avoided the thereatears for a few days now and the throat inflammation seems to be a little better. I only have OASIS teas plus right now and I find them a little too thick for day use. I am finding it really hard to achieve relief with any of the drops I have tried. My eyes often feel like I have an old contact on the eye, even a half hour after drops. I am seeing an opthamologist who specializes in 'dry eye' on Saturday morning. I can't wait to see what he recommends.

Comment

Hi, just curious we're you using Thera Tears preservative free in the single vials or the bottled ones, I noticed that the thicker gel drops are for some reason very irritating to my eyes, yet the genteal gel blurs my vision but never irritates, I think it is also not rushing out of my eyes and down my throat. I hope things get better with your throat, it seems like it's all a matter of trial and error.

Comment

I don't know if this is typical for everyone, but my eyes had redness on the underside of my lids that turned out to be caused by the allergies to some drop ingredients. It didn't cause redness on the eyes themselves or skin around the eyes. The redness and filaments on the eyes themselves were caused by dry eye and responded well to humidifier, lubricating drops and oral fish/flax oil.

I wasn't aware that the inside of the lids, and lid margin were abnormally red because it changed to red so slowly, and the 3 opthalmologists and the optometrist I saw did not comment on inner-lid redness. But when my allergies were finally suspected/identified and I eliminated all eye drops, cosmetics, toiletries and household cleaners that contained those chemicals, my inner lids and margin became a normal color and was very noticably not-red anymore. Maybe that is helpful info in figuring out if there is an allergy.

When I was experimenting with various lubricating drops for sensitivity/allergy issues, I was using only the single-vial non-preservative types with the exception of 1 or 2 new products that have a preservative that is supposed to immediately dissipate when it is put into the eye. Everything stung but OASIS so I don't even have a good back-up drop at this point, but will experiment again some day to try to find one.

FYI, if you're on nasal sprays or oral inhalers of any kind (like for asthma or bronchitis), they can also have some same ingredients as eye drops for ph balance, etc, that can irritate some (like me) and they also end up getting into the throat. Even Ayr saline nasal sprays and gel contained something I'm sensitive to.

Comment

Hi MaryVa61,

One I stopped using Theartears the redness in my throat disappeared. I suspect there is something in this PF drop that I am reacting to. If my throat reacts, I can't help but imagine that my eyes would have been reacting too.

I seem to be able to tolerate the Oasis tear drops, most times. The other day I had been crying and 20 minutes later I used the Oasis tear drops my eyes stung like crazy.

NO i'm not using any nasal sprays or inhalers. I think I am just overly sensitive to a lot of chemicals. My next step is to ask for serum drops.

Bella

Comment

Hi Bella. I'm glad you're doing better.

If you keep having a bit of stinging, even with OASIS, maybe you should consider allergy tests. Skin patch allergy tests helped me identify 2 additional chemicals I was allergic to, other than the 2 in in eye drops, that were affecting my eyes.

The new ones were preservatives used in many cosmetics and toiletries. i had to change my shampoo, conditioner, facial cleanser and moisturizer. And I finally gave up on mascara altogether because all the waterproof ones irritated but the non-waterproof aren't good for people using lubricating drops throughout the day. I don't know what the chemical is in the waterproof mascara that irritates my eyes.

I wish I'd connected the dots years ago when I had to stop Flonase for Rhinits because of throat irritation, and also looked at my eye drop inngredients. Could have saved me years of additional eye irritation.

I hope the serum drops work well for you. Keep us posted.

Comment

Hi there,
                    Well the inflamed throat went away once I stopped using the theratears drops. It has been a good week since I have been of the theratears and the redness has gone. I don't think it was just a sore throat as my glands were not swollen at all. I guess there must be something in the drops that I was reacting to. I seem okay with the Oasis tears throat wise. I will be getting onto serum drops soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X