Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your trick for putting in eyedrops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your trick for putting in eyedrops?

Even though I've put countless drops in my eyes over the past months, I still haven't perfected a technique. I prefer having a mirror that I can look in, then I just hold the dropper to the side and let it in. If I don't have a mirror, I try to hold my head back and then let the drops fall straight down into my eye. But after all this time I still don't hit the eye directly a lot of time, and hit the eyelashes instead. This isn't bad with some drops but with Dakrina, it gets my eyelashes all gooey. I also sometimes am careless and the dropper touches my eye, which is frustrating.

Also, do you all hold your eye closed for a minute after putting in drops? My old eye doctor recommended this, to extend the effect. I try to but a lot of times I forgot or don't have the time.

Anyone have any tips or tricks to share?

I tip my head back and pull my lower lid down, then, ready-aim-fire! I then close my eyes and apply gentle pressure to the puncta for about a minute. I usually move my eyes around to coat them with the drop too.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

There are some products out there that are supposed to help aim drops accurately, such as EZ-Drops (should be available at your local pharmacy). It's a little papery gizmo that you stick onto the bottle and it has a target sort of thing that hangs over one side of the tipper. You hold your head back and stare straight at the target dot while inserting the drops. Somebody sent me samples of it awhile back and I tried it out and while no miracle it seemed like it might be helpful to some people.

I blot my lashes gently with a tissue after applying Dwelle or Dakrina to prevent the crystals.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I always have to look in a mirror when I put drops in - which is not always convenient. I just cant do it otherwise, they just dribble all down my face - which is a waste.

Comment

I forgot to mention that I always find it easier to put in drops without a mirror if my mouth is open!
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

haha, kitty, you and i have the exact same technique! tilting head back, pulling lower lid down, and always have mouth open. i have no idea why, but for some reason, having my mouth open always helps. kinda like when i used to put on mascara everyday. i couldn't put it on my eyelashes w/out keeping my mouth open.
            -Amy

Comment

Makeup Mirror

I carry a little makeup mirror with my drops, cost me around £0.50. I use it at my desk to put drops in so I don't have to go to the bathroom as I need a mirror to put my drops in.

A friend uses a little lipstick carrier with a built in mirror. Put the drops in the space for the lipstick and away you go.

I tilt my head upwards, pull my bottom lid outwards to create a pocket and pop the drop in.

Then blink loads of times really quickly to get coverage on my eye.

If I don't use a mirror, I have drops everywhere except for in my eye.

Who would ever have thought that before laser surgery a makeup mirror would become part of my daily life.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

A friend uses a little lipstick carrier with a built in mirror. Put the drops in the space for the lipstick and away you go.
                Thanks, Ian, for the good tip. I happen to have one of these lying around.
                I wouldn't use the mirror for drops, as I've never done so and can't imagine how. But, very handy for carrying drops.

A friend was over the other night and kept blinking his eyes. I asked him what the problem was. He is a plasterer by trade and told me that his eyes are often very dry. I told him I'd give him some drops. He asked for a mirror and I couldn't figure out why he would need a mirror. After reading this thread, I know why. (I put the drops in because I knew he'd been working outside and wouldn't bother to wash up.)

I snapped a Theratears vial and told him to lay his head back as he was sitting on the couch. His eyes were incredibly red and sore looking. I felt like the "doctor" putting the drops in his eyes. He told me he uses Visine, no doubt the wrong kind. He's not getting my lipstick holder with mirror, though.
                Last edited by Lucy; 16-Jun-2006, 13:04. Reason: forgot how to spell visine
                Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I have been using a small mirror for 15 years or so… so either I’m lazy and obsessed by my own looks or it’s simply what works best for me.

People give me strange looks at times though… I guess it’s slightly easier for you girls to remain unnoticed… you could be powdering your nose which more socially acceptable than taking care of one’s eyes!

Mirror, Mirror, who has the fairest eyes in town? I ask it. Inevitably, and just by looking at my mirror’s face, I know it’s not me!

Take care,
                  Kakinda

Comment

Pleased that my suggestion helps. I have always carried it as I was never able to put my lenses in without one either.

For some stange reason, I can't put drops in either without a mirror, it is not as if my eyes move from one day to the next, I just seem to end up having a face wash when not using a mirror.

Maybe I could try Kitty's suggestion and hold my mouth open as well, will end up with drops in my mouth then.

Like Kikinda I feel like whipping the mirror out and asking the question - "who has the fairest eyes in town". I know it's not me so I simply save myself the humiliation and don't ask myself.

As for what anyone else thinks, I am a little over that these days. I have enough problems in my life without concerning myself what other people might be thinking.

I think it was Neil who suggested that if someone checks you out whilst putting your drops in, ask them if they want to try one. You never know they may develop dry in the in the future and could benefit from your wealth of knowledge from trying every drop or combination thereof available in the market whilst trying to get this thing under control.

Could even be a good pick up line, "Look I have some samples at home, give me your address and I will pop around with some."

Have a great day.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by IanPratt
                      Like Kikinda I feel like whipping the mirror out and asking the question - "who has the fairest eyes in town". I know it's not me so I simply save myself the humiliation and don't ask myself.

As for what anyone else thinks, I am a little over that these days. I have enough problems in my life without concerning myself what other people might be thinking.

I think it was Neil who suggested that if someone checks you out whilst putting your drops in, ask them if they want to try one. You never know they may develop dry in the in the future and could benefit from your wealth of knowledge from trying every drop or combination thereof available in the market whilst trying to get this thing under control.

Could even be a good pick up line, "Look I have some samples at home, give me your address and I will pop around with some."

Have a great day.

Ian
                      I don't know if Neil suggested that too but that's what I usually say to people who usually really stare... and I think i did mention that in another thread.
                      I am beyond looks too don't you worry.... especially with a patched eye now and then...
                      the mirror is essential to avoid poking the eye too. I don't want things to get more complicated than they are...
                      I just find interesting how people seem to judge all the time because you put drops in one's eye... sounds such a trivial thing to really bother noticing it.
                      But apparently not quite so...
                      take care
                      Kakinda

Comment

Sorry Kakinda (and Neil)

I really wasn't sure who it was that suggested it, I can just remember reading it on a post at the same time I received a response from Neil, confusion on my part, apologies all round/

I think you just do what you have to do to deal with DES. If that means using a mirror to put drops in than that is the way it is and whatever someone else thinks really doesn't bother me.

It perplexes me also that people find it intriguing that I put drops in my eye in public like they have never seen it before - I'm not breaking the law, I have dry eyes for goodness sake - get a life.

You should see when I go out for dinner with my sister (an insulin dependant diabetic) she is so over what other people think she injects herself whenever and where ever she is and the looks that she gets just amazes me.

I think it is great that we have embraced out problem and do something proactive about it, who knows what baggage those that stare are carring around with them and besides that is their problem to deal with.

I love my life and wouldn't trade my life for quids.

Have a great day

Ian

Comment

Ian, I have filled my mirrored lipstick case with 4-5 vials of TheraTears! Handy to carry in my purse(s). In fact, I may have to buy another lipstick case because I have many purses. I do not use the mirror for drops, only applying lipstick.

I do, I must admit, have my mouth open while instilling drops. If I'm in public, I think I try to omit that part. It usually doesn't "omit" though, and I just don't care. I throw my head back and do the drops, often missing. After almost 7 years of this, I've just been DX'd with degenerative disk disease in my neck. I have no doubt what caused it, although I'm old enough to have arthritis and other ailments.

I still muse about folks using the mirror for drops. It's what you start with and what works for you! When I began doing drops, I had to do them at 15 minute intervals and a mirror available just was not a possibility.

You should see when I go out for dinner with my sister (an insulin dependant diabetic) she is so over what other people think she injects herself whenever and where ever she is and the looks that she gets just amazes me.
                          My daughter is insulin dependant diabetic also, Ian. You're right, you just inject when you need to. Usually it's at the meal table because you need to coordinate your insulin with your food intake. My daughter has for the past several years used an insulin pump and has eliminated 95% of her shots. She just reaches down and "programs" the instrument on her belt or pocket. It looks like a small cell phone. It is not noticable unless you are sitting next to her.
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

And you know Ian, that's nothing compared to what I have experienced in a company of a friend who lost her leg...she has a false limb.
                            the whole city stopped to look at her while we passed by, and i really felt sorry for them...
                            some really really stare and some others are so desperatly trying not to look that they would stumble into anything crossing their way...

In part it's only natural to look briefly, I would do the same I guess, but since so many people do not look and just keep staring, this only makes me think that society has really a problem dealing with disabilities in a natural way...
                            Unfortunately, hiding disabilities has been the only socially acceptable method for too long.

Anyway, compared to that putting an eye drop in is so trivial and yet...

Comment

Working...
                            X