Weight Gain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Gain

I have "dry eye", perhaps the result of Sjogren's Syndrome and hypothyroidism. My eye doc precribed Restasis. I have been on it for one year. I don't see any significant moisture changes, but I have gained 10 lbs after about 3 months of using the product. This may be a by product of the meds, part of the Sjogren's syndrome/Hypo, or maybe just too much pasta!

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experienced a weight gain after starting on Restasis.

Jack A

I have lost weight while on Restasis (intentionally). I doubt it is the Restasis that is responsible for your weight gain. To my knowledge, only negligable amounts of the cyclosporine enter the blood stream with ophthalmic administration. My drug handbook does not list weight gain as a side effect of systemic/oral cyclosporine.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

considering i've always had trouble keeping weight on my body, i also really doubt its the restasis, especially since i use twice the recommended dosage. if i'm not mistaken, wouldn't the weight gain be caused by the hypothyroidism? i think that might be your culprit.
      -Amy

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Thyroid is working fine at this point.

Comment

Welcome to Dry Eye Talk, Jack.

Care for some pasta?
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

Or, as they say in Latin, "Illegitimi non Carbohydrate" or "Don't Let the Pasta Make you Gain Weight"

Comment

Rebecca,

Hmmmm! Eating pasta on the beach in FL...not a bad idea!!

Jack

Comment

dry eye freak out made me lose weight

I have lost almost 45 pounds as a result of the complications from the cataract surgery. My friends say I am beginning to look very healthy; little do they know. I have another 45 to lose before we start to get worried.

Comment

Working...
                X