Let's talk Visine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's talk Visine.

Pfizer has a formidable brand in Visine. It's been around for 40 years and it's pretty much the only eyedrop ever marketed directly to consumers on such a large scale. It is natural that they are aggressively marketing their tear products now that the dry eye market is 'heating up'. They are distributing a lot of samples to doctors and so I think a lot of patients are now first getting some form of Visine for dry eye from their doctor.

There is a good deal of confusion however about what Visine 'is'. I often see people here warning Visine users against Visine products, without knowing which one they're using, in case it is one that might be harmful to people with chronic dry eye. So, I think it's about time we had a thread dedicated to this subject where we can get it all out on the table and refer back to it as needed.

I'll start it off with a basic rundown of the product line. Feel free to supplement, correct, clarify, etc.

There are 9 products in the Visine family, each targeting one or more of the following uses:

- Temporary relief of redness
    - Relief of allergy symptoms
    - Relief of dry eye symptoms
    - Contact lens lubrication

Of those nine drops, six contain benzalkonium chloride (BAK) as preservative. IMHO, that means they should be avoided by people with chronic dry eye. It's one thing to take a prescription eyedrop with BAK if there is no acceptable alternative currently available, but there are always alternatives when it comes to over-the-counter drops. Some of the 6 are also objectionable for us on the basis of their active ingredients (redness relievers).

The six BAK-containing Visine products are:
    • Visine A.C.
    • Visine L.R.
    • Visine Tears
    • Visine Advanced Relief
    • Visine Original
    • Visine-A.

The following three Visine products do not contain BAK:
    • Visine for Contacts
    • Visine Pure Tears Portables
    • Visine Pure Tears Single Drop Dispenser
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I read a really positive post about the Visine Pure Tears on another board the other day. I'm not sure but I think that they are preservative free or they have a disappearing preservative. I'd like to hear if anyone else has given them a try.

Comment

The latest post inquiring about Visine got me thinking (not much does these days).

Here's a link to the Pfizer (makers of Visine) customer feedback page:

CLICK ME!

Please take a moment and write to Pfizer. Feel free to use your own words, but my thought would be to mention that:

- you understand that Pfizer still uses Benzalkonium Chloride as a preservative in many of its eyedrops,

- it's well-known that Benzalkonium Chloride CAUSES AND WORSENS dry eye--something I/we/you know to be a horribly painful, bothersome, and debilitating condition,

- you wonder why they haven't already switched to preservative-free versions of ALL of their over-the-counter eye drops

Get 'em

NOTE: Kakinda and others may know who the other leading offenders are. Please help me out (my vision's still the pits) and post links for THEIR companies' feedback pages so that we can take just one more small step in helping this cause.

Thanks!

Comment

Visine Pure Tears

I'm using the Visine Pure Tears. It's preservative free, it's in a convient pump bottle and it dispenses a single drop at a time. Really great for people with makeup on. I like it because of the convience. I really don't like any of their other drops. But I'd buy stock in this one.

Neil, I did send them a message complaining about the BAK in the products. I asked them for more things like the Visine Pure Tear product.

Billye

Comment

Hi Neil,
          sounds like i missed this post but it's still time to take action since not much has changed.
          leading offenders include Alcon.
          More soon,

Comment

Working...
          X