Generic Muro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generic Muro

I have recently started using SoChlor (generic Muro), drops and ointment. The drops seem the same as the brand but the ointment seems very different. There is at least 20+ minutes of noticeable burning whereas the brand (ointment) caused no burning to speak of. Has anyone else experienced this? I am aware that the consistency is different; the brand is thicker (and harder to get into my eyes) and the SoChlor is definitely thinner...and burns! Not sure if I should continue with the generic. My guess is that the inactive ingredients are somehow different. Not sure why it burns more, tho.

Thanks - Neve

I haven't tried Muro, brand or generic. But my neurologist warned me not to try generic versions of anything that goes into my eyes. He did some research and didn't like what he learned about generics due to inactive ingredients and manufacturing processes. He doesn't like any drugs generic, OTC or Rx, but especially eye preparations.

Comment

Mary - That is good to know. I always consider using generic eye stuff becasue it is cheaper and I spend a lot of money on my eyes.

Neve - what do you mean the muro is thick and hard to get into your eyes? I have never had problems with the muro coming out of the tube, I use muro ointment and FML ointment every night, without these my eye lids stick to my eyes while and sleep and it is very difficult to get my eyes open upon waking. The FML is more difficult to get out of the tube an in my eye, but I think it is because the tube is made of a thicker material and the ointment is clear so it is harder to tell how much is in the eye.

Comment

Just a little additional info... I added the SoChlor products to the shop a year or so ago at the request of a couple of customers who couldn't buy it locally and wanted to be able to combine purchases, use free shipping coupons etc. I've seen mixed reactions from people who try it after using Muro regularly for awhile. There are some who like them (drops, ointment or both) better than Muro and some who find it worse in terms of burning. Comes down to individual experience in my opinion. In those cases where it works out well, it sure saves a lot of money. I put all kinds of warnings on the descriptions because I always worry that people shopping in the dry eye shop will assume these are dry eye products when they are not.

Re: generics, the OTC eye product world is riddled with traps even without the question of generic vs brand name. On OTC lubricants the labels do not give you enough information. Sometimes significant ingredients are tucked away in the inactives list. Consumers who are not savvy will have no way of knowing that a drop may contain a preservative that is not safe for daily use on a dry eye. Some 'combo' drops which purport to be lubricants also contain vasoconstrictors AND bad preservatives. It's a jungle out there for the non-savvy consumer so we all really need to both study up and where appropriate consult our doctors about which specific products are suitable for us.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Trac - For some reason, I seem to be quite a spaz when it comes to the Muro ointment. I always end up getting it all around my eyes and wasting alot. I find it difficult to "cut it off" and have it land in my eyes! What is your technique??!! I am off the generic Muro. There is something in there, probably inactive ingredient, or amount of something, or who knows. But, I tried and it's not for me. So, I will go back to spending $23 minimum for a tube. I do think it's probably best not to skimp on your eyes...but paying substantially less for the generic, when it works for you is appealing! What decided it for me was my night last night...beyond just the burn, it felt as if my eyes were not lubed and bone dry and this was just about an hour after application. So, no erosions for me, and no generics for me either. Oh well!

Comment

Neve - I pull my eye lid down and squeeze the bottom of the tube and apply the ointment in the grove made between the eye lid and the bottom of the eye. That helps keep the ointment in place when you pull the tube away from your eye. Stop squeezing the tube before you pull the tube away from your eye. I put the FML in first because it is clear and if I blink I can still kind of see to get the muro in. I do the same technique for the muro. Because the muro is white I cannot see very well after I put the muro in.

For me the muro comes out very easily and quickly compared to the FML, so I have to be careful not to apply too much. I only cover about half of the width of my eye lid channel, I aim for the middle half. As soon as I stop squeezing the tube the muro stops coming out and I lift the tube away from my eye. Then I close my eyes and it feels go good an moist. Sometimes I use hot rice compresses after putting in the ointment. My theory is that the heat will melt the ointment and spead it across my eye. I genetally fall asleep with the rice baggy on. Generally if I follow this routine my eyes feel pretty good in the morning. If I can get a lot of filaments out of my eyes in the moring I go longer without foreign body sensation. Longer as in an hour instead of a few minutes.

It must be really frustrating having a hard time getting the ointment in. I know when my FML ointment is almost gone and I am trying to squeeze a couple more doses from it I can accidently hit the tip of the applicator on my eye, boy that is a painful mistake.

I find it frustrating that we all have the same basic problem, but the medication can affect us all so differently.

Rebecca - do you think it is not a good idea for me to use muro ointment and FML ointment back to back? I don't even wait seconds between putting these two in. My reasoning being that once I get the FML in I cannot see to get the muro in and if I lay down for a little while I will fall asleep and not get the next ointment in.

Comment

Maybe I'm just exceptionally fortunate - the Sochlor ointment doesn't burn my eyes, and to the best of my recollection, neither did the Muro ointment. But the Muro drops, and Sochlor drops are another story. They both cause me considerable burning, tho that only lasts for a few minutes. The more tired my eyes are, it seems the worse the burning of the eyedrops is. As for applying the ointment, I also had a difficult time applying Muro because it was so thick, and I couldn't get it to cut off even when I stopped squeezing the tube. Since it's so thick, it would move quickly from the "groove" to my eyelashes. Of course that caused a sticky mess, and the worst of it was that I ended up with no ointment where it was supposed to go. I'd have to reapply, and hope for the best. The Sochlor is thinner, and I don't have the above problem most of the time. It stops flowing pretty much when I stop squeezing tube. And so far, Sochlor has worked well for me, preventing erosions and keeping the corneal pressure down. So tho I don't like having to use drops and ointment, if I don't, then I end up with erosions and abrasions.

Comment

All of the drops I use, except serum, sting and burn more if my eyes are in more pain when I put the drops in. The serum never bothers my eyes, but then it is from my own blood. Neither FML nor muro ointment have ever caused any pain at all. The odd part is if my eyes sting when I put drops in, it hurts less if I keep my eyes closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Trac View Post
                  Rebecca - do you think it is not a good idea for me to use muro ointment and FML ointment back to back? I don't even wait seconds between putting these two in. My reasoning being that once I get the FML in I cannot see to get the muro in and if I lay down for a little while I will fall asleep and not get the next ointment in.
                  Interesting question! I really don't know - would definitely check with your doctor on that one.

To everybody, on this subject of burning with drops more broadly, don't forget that buffering by applying some saline 5-10 minutes earlier can help.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

What type of saline. I thought muro drops were saline.

I know I should talk to my doctor about the ointment back to back, but I don't want to tell him in case he tells me not to do it that way.

Comment

Unisol 4. It is unpreserved saline pH balanced for the eye and it is the only one of its kind (except some drugstores/groceries have generics). Usually sold on the bottom shelf of the contact lens section in a box of 3 bottles. Some people use a bland unpreserved artificial tear as a buffer for harsher (esp. Rx) drops.

The Muro 128 and Sochlor ointments/solutions are hypertonic and are sold to treat corneal edema and related conditions.

I know I should talk to my doctor about the ointment back to back, but I don't want to tell him in case he tells me not to do it that way.
                      Not such a great idea if the other ointment could render the FML less effective. I really don't have any idea whether that's likely, but personally I wouldn't be risking it - if drops taken simultaneously can compromise each other, I don't see why ointments might not do the same thing. You are talking about a legitimate practical problem and I would absolutely expect a doctor to come up with a solution for you, whether that means telling you what you're doing is OK or changing the vehicle of one or both or whatever.
                      Rebecca Petris
                      The Dry Eye Foundation
                      dryeyefoundation.org
                      800-484-0244

Comment

Trac: We have the same doubts about back-to-back FML with other drops.

For FML, esp in chronic use, we leave at least 10 mins but ideally 1/2hr (avoid interaction), drop in lower eyelid pouch not direct on surface (avoid corneal thinning), close puncta for at least 15 secs (avoid steroid and BAK in sinuses, systemic absorption to adrenals etc), wipe it off surrounding skin with warm water cotton wool (avoid skin thinning and eyelid veins).

We separate FML from the bedtime routine of flaxseed warm compress + lubricant on the basis it controls inflammation long term, presumably on slowish release, so separate instillation might be more effective, and heating the eye straight afterwards when we're trying to control inflammation probably isn't helpful. We instil the daily FML dose eg in the morning before shower or evening before bedtime bath on the basis it won't wash off the eye surface but it washes off the surrounding skin.

Just my thoughts, never had any doc or drug interaction advice on this.
                        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thank you so much LM for your insight. Do you use FML drops or ointment? Last night I did put some time between the FLM and Muro ointment. So do you ever use hot compresses or just cold compresses or none at all? I guess hot compresses would not be the most helpful if there was already inflammation going on.

Comment

For the above posters, just as an FYI........when using Muro ointment, I often put a dab on my index finger and then pull the bottom eyelid down and scrape off my finger. I make sure my hands are freshly washed, of course.
                            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Litttlemermaid, How often do you use FML in one day? And how long does it affect your vision after you put it in?

Comment

Working...
                              X