Severe Chronic Burning Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe Chronic Burning Eyes

I was curious if anyone had any suggestions for burning eyes. I had Lasik surgery done about 7 years ago. It's the best thing I've ever done but a side effect has been that my eyes burn 24/7/365. I've tried many OTC drops at the supermarket to no avail. The Doctor even put plugs in my tear ducts. But still, they just BURN like you wouldn't believe. Occasionally, I use Alaway drops which help for a few hours at best. However, you can only use them once every 6 hours.

Does anyone else have severe burning eyes? If so, what have you used to get relief? I've heard eye drops with Chamomile work well for burning eyes. I should mention that I am a "candidate" for Pigmentary Dispersion Syndrome so my Doctor told me to stay away from Vasoconstrictors.

Thanks for the help!

Hi drieyes,
    I too had lasik over a year ago and my eyes burn every day. I have had temporary relief from celluvisc eye drops, eye gel and I find a hot compress will also help. I keep a humifier going all the time too as dry air just makes it worse. All these are only temporary of course. I am glad you are happy with you decision to have lasik despite the outcome, I do not share this sentiment however as I was much happier and had a better quality of life before my lasik.
    All the best,
    fiddle

Comment

Drieyes, my vision is now 20/15 in both eyes but I couldn't ever say that I'm glad I had lasik. I'm just over a year and my eyes hurt and burn everyday. If you haven't try moister chamber glasses that's a good start. The drops I like is Systane Ultra and Systane gel at night. The warm bag over the eyes is very soothing and I do this atleast every night before bed. These also are just temp fixes because drops just don't hold up long enough for lasting comfort. How long have you had your dry eyes? Did you get them right after lasik or years later?

Comment

I wasn't sure what Alaway drops were so I looked them up. What I found was that these drops are an antihistamine drop for allergies. If I'm not mistaken an antihistamine will dry your eyes more. I know the pills will because I can't touch them or I will not be able to open my eyes. I found out the hard way.

Comment

Hi Drieyes,

I'm also wondering if you've had the burning for the whole 7 years or if this is a recent development...

Anyhow, you could try splashing cold water over closed eyes as often as needed... this helped me back when my eyes used to burn badly all day... also maybe look into whether or not you have meibomian gland dysfunction? A lot of ppl. with that seem to get burning eyes...

Can't imagine thinking LASIK was the best think I've ever done with this outcome... it's literally disabled me compared to how I was before LASIK... but maybe the burning for you is recent so that's why you're still happy? Or maybe your vision was horrible before LASIK? In any case, glad to know you're still happy with LASIK

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting about the Alaway drying your eyes even more. They burn so bad I'm usually willing to try anything, even for temporary relief. I stare at a computer screen at work all day which I'm sure doesn't help.

Yes, my vision was terrible before LASIK - now I'm 20/10. My Op says I have the best vision of any of his patients.

Yes, the burning/dryness started shortly after the surgery. Supermarket and stores seem to wreak havoc on my eyes more so for some reason (airflow?) My eyes seem to be more bloodshot as well, post op.

I keep reading posts about Freshkote, Dwell & Nutratear - are any of these for burning eyes? Anyone tried eye drops with Chamomile?

Thanks again.

Comment

I'm not sure what all you have tried but if you haven't tried moisture chamber glasses that probably going to give you the most relief. They have for me.

Comment

Bump.

Just wanted to revisit to see if anyone had any suggestions for drops that I could try for my burning eyes. In reading other posts, it sounds like there are drops with oil in them, might this help? I've been meaning to pick up some Systane to try.

I've heard good stories about the Chamomile eye drops but was hoping to get confirmation from someone who has actually tried them. If no one has tried them, maybe I'll give them a try & let everyone know how they work.

The moisture chamber glasses are interesting. Knowing myself though, I don't think I would actually use them.

Thanks again,

Comment

Originally posted by drieyes View Post

Just wanted to revisit to see if anyone had any suggestions for drops that I could try for my burning eyes. In reading other posts, it sounds like there are drops with oil in them, might this help? I've been meaning to pick up some Systane to try.
                  It depends what exactly has been causing the burning sensation. Often things other than drops are helpful whether plugs, moisture chambers, cold compresses etc. If you really want a drop, the two things that come to mind are autologous serum drops and also maybe rinsing now and then with chilled saline (Unisol 4, unpreserved saline, available in drugstores). You may want to try Oasis (sold here or at oasistears.com or at some eye doctors' offices) which improves tear film osmolarity and works well for a lot of people.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                  X