X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oils for use in Eyes?

Hi
    I know that I am asking for an opinion on shall we say, a "unlicensed" form of treatment for dry eyes, however I will ask anyway.
    I know that there is a varied success of using natural oils directly on the eye, or even around eyelid, and I know that certainly people would be reasonably wary of this approach, but do any of you have any experience of using say olive, castor or vitamin e, or any other natural oil on your eyes, even if in the shorterm?
    I am about to make my own shampoo and facecream as I finally am going to give up on potentially harmfull chemicals in even the simplest of products that I use. I dont wear any make up anyway, and use an E45 cream which is basically a white petroleum, lanolin mix. I have been using baby shampoo but have recently come across a few folk on here who do in fact have an allergy to it. When I checked out a skin sense site last night, I could quite understand. I used a vitamin e oil on my face today and carefully rubbed some near my eyes, just to see, and it did not irritate them. Would there be any problems I am wondering with putting it on my eyelids? Obviuosly I would not want to clog glands, so would be sparing. I think going the natural route is worth a go anyhow as fairly despondant now.
    What do you think?
    Lulu

/

Lulu,

I don't know anything about trying to treat eyes with oils, but castor oil is an ingredient in some drops and some people find it irritating. it doesn't bother me. But oils not made for use in the eyes aren't going to be sterile enough. Sounds very risky.

Petroleum products and lanolin are common allergens. Skin allergy reactions do not happen right after exposure to the product. The reaction doesn't happen until a day or two later, then lasts at least for a few days. That's what makes those allergens so hard to identify. It's best to just try one new product per week and keep a log of the products used and daily eye symptoms. Then if eyes get bad you can think about when they started getting worse and check your log to see what product you started using a day, two or three before that.

I'm having the best luck right now with products by Dermae and Aubrey Organics, and specifically their gentlest products. Prices threw me off at first, but it takes only a tiny amount of product so they really last a long time. I buy them online or at the Vitamin Shoppe or health food stores. But no substance is safe for everyone, all the time. We're all different and new allergies can crop up at any time. And for me, the biggest reaction is always in the eyes.

Good luck with it all!

Mary

Comment

I used to use castrol oil for the night treatment directly on eyes. It was the best cure for my eyes. Now sometimes I use it when I feel evening irritation.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I can well understand the concern with putting non sterile stuff on my eyes. My skin has never felt or looked so good as it has the last few days when using Vit E oil, from individual capsules as I thought this might be the best way of a non contamination dose. I have looked around my health food shops in my city in the UK and cannot find sterile oils? I guess that they are not pharmacetical grade, which is why I found the capsules a safer idea for face cream. Can one get sterile oils? Miaze, castor of corn oil.
        Very gratefull for all answers.
        Lulu

Comment

Hi lulu,
          I recently started using Refresh Endura preservative free drops. They have castor oil in them. I find them to be soothing and gentle.

You might want to check with a compounding pharmacy to see if they have any castor oil drops (or other oil based drops).

Comment

I buy a big bottle of castrol oil and use an eye dropper which I change from time to time. Only existing possibility in Poland:-)

Comment

Working...
            X