This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serum vs. OTC drops

Has anybody found that standard over-the-counter drops actually work BETTER than Serum drops?

I tried serum drops and they didn't work at all for me. (very disappointing and expensive experiment) Dwelle had been the best. It didn't cure me, but it made my eyes more manageable. I am using FreshKote now, but it does not work as well as Dwelle in my opinion. When I have to be out for some time I usually supplement my drop with a small amount of olive oil on the bottom rim of my eyelid.

Comment

I see serum drops as like medicine (ex. anti-inflammatory substances in them etc.) rather than as a heavy duty lubricant. My OTC drops fit the role of lubricant for me.

Although my serum drops don't seem as useful as a pure lubricant for me, they definitely did something... back when I first started them, within days, my eyes no longer were as irritated by evening... whatever they did, it was good

I use 100% serum 4 times daily, and OTC lubricants frequently throughout the day (I make sure I don't use any other drops for 15 minutes before or after my serum drops though... don't want to dilute them with OTC stuff... want the serum to be as potent as possible so I'll hopefully get more benefits from them.

Comment

SAAG

My experience is the same. I see the serum as therapeutic or medicinal rather than lubricant. Before I started using it, my eyes were in such a poor state that I couldn't tolerate any kind of OTC or prescription drop. Things are not perfect now but compared to how it used to be, it's so much better. I had reached a point where I had a very poor quality of life.

Comment

I use them both and the serum drops definitely make a bigger difference for me, both in the way that they last (unless I use something with more oomph, like Celluvisc or ointment) and in the way they feel for me. I was using 50% but since winter is particularly hard on me, I asked my physician to up my serum percentage to 75% and have been using the higher percentage for 2-3 weeks now. I use them a min. of 6x per day.

Comment

I agree. I use the serum drops but find I need a gel or ointment. I like Genteal gel for daytime and the same brand of ointment at night.

Comment

Originally posted by dryeyes2 View Post
              I tried serum drops and they didn't work at all for me. (very disappointing and expensive experiment) Dwelle had been the best. It didn't cure me, but it made my eyes more manageable. I am using FreshKote now, but it does not work as well as Dwelle in my opinion. When I have to be out for some time I usually supplement my drop with a small amount of olive oil on the bottom rim of my eyelid.
              Can I ask how expensive? Who did you go to for the serum drops? I only know about them from all of you on here, and I'm curious if they could help me, as I have no perceivable tears of my own now.

Comment

I pay $100 total for a 3 mo. supply (about 45-46ml or 1.5 oz) of 100% serum (that includes the lab fee plus the amount I pay to the pharmacy)... It is a bit more expensive for me because I get them in 3ml bottles... if I took them in larger bottes (which cost less for the pharmacy), the serum drops would cost less also.

Comment

Working...
                X