This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need suggestions on how to apply saran wrap to my eyes at night

I heard good things about this method, and I have been taping both eyes shut, which is not ideal if I want to see when I get up during the middle of the night.
    I put lubricant in my eyes, as usual, then put vaseline on the saranwrap, and covered my eyes. I have been told it stays in place pretty well, but mine didn't. I need to protect my eyes at night because neither of them completely close, and the upper lids drift even more open as I sleep.
    Help and suggestions very welcome. I have had upper eyelid surgery for retracted lids, lower eyelid surgery with grafts from my hard palate to my lower lids for retracted lower lids, and the problem remains. None of these four surgeries were successful. I have some proptosis, especially in one eye.
    All of this is because I have TED thyroid eye disease.
    Shirley

Hi Shirley,

Glad to see that you have found the DEZ . . .although, would be better if we didn't need to have support for our eyes.

I have successfully used saran wrap in the past. I used to put four dabs of vaseline around my eyes and stretch the saran wrap over my eye. It seemed to cling fairly well on its own, but the vaseline helped. Not all saran is the same. You need to use the one that is really clingy. If this does not work, you can go to plan B. That would be to use the saran wrap and fix it in place with two strips of micropore tape, one at your brow line and the other on highest point of your cheek bone. The tape is not on your sensitive eyelids and your eyes will have a nice moist chamber around them.

I tend to sleep on my belly and have learned to tuck my hand under my cheek to make sure I don't rub my eyes into my pillow.

Hope this helps

Comment

saran wrap

Hi, your suggestions ARE helpful. I think! Thank you. Unfortunately I need to cover both eyes, maybe covering them separately with saran would be a better idea.
      Do you mean small piece of saran over eye (as opposed to a big long piece?)
      I am still trying to visualize it, and tonight I will try it, will make more sense then I think.
      I am very sorry that I belong to this group, but surely appreciate the existence of this site, and the work Rebecca has done, and all the suggestions from all the people I had NO IDEA who shared this problem and are trying to live with it.

Comment

Hi hopeful, did doxycycline help you at all?

Comment

Hi Shirley,

I don't know if doxycycline helped. I was on it off and on for three months. It really upset my digestive system. I tend to think it did not make a difference, mind you, I don't have the toothpaste like secretions that are typical of MGD. I just have secretions that don't seem to be effective at adhering to my tear film. It could be that I am mucin defficient (that is the first layer of the tear film, right against the eye, made by goblet cells on the surface of the eye).

In terms of the saran wrap. I know it it hard to visualize at first. Here is what I have done . . . Cut a 2 inch square piece of saran wrap. Apply micopore tape to top and bottom of the square, leaving some of the tape to stick to your skin. Get your eyes all gooped up with the gel/drop of your choice. Stretch saran over eye, if you want your eye to remain closed, otherwise, just place the saran over your eye and press the tape above and below your eye. You can also tape the two open sides, but I don't think this is necessary. Repeat for the other eye.

I find that I can still see reasonably well with the saran over my eyes. I also lift up the saran in the middle of the night to apply more drops. The tape will still adhere to your skin. I have never had a problem with the saran shifting through the night. Let me know if you still have questions.

Comment

The safest easiest way to protect your eyes at night would be the Onyx or Quartz products from eye Eco available at Dry Eye Shop.

Comment

Thanks indrep! I just received my order of Onyx (clear ones) night goggles, today. I must admit they are way more flexible than they appear in the picture. I am looking forward to trying them out. . . I think I'll be able to sleep on my side or even my tummy, in comfort. I think I might just tape the goggles over my eyes. I really don't want them to shift in my sleep.

Comment

I find the piece that goes over the nose, too long in both moisture chamber goggles and the onyx goggles. There does not seem to be a way to make it shorter.

Comment

Hi Shirley,

I posted in another thread about taping the goggles to your face. This keeps them in place and also creates a better seal. I agree, the piece that goes over the nose is too long. Some people have removed the nose piece and replaced it with a string. You can cut a piece to string and tie it to the right size.

Comment

Wow. THat is a good idea (nose piece.) I am not sure how to use this site yet, and I have trouble finding my post again after writing it. Now will look for your most recent post. Last night I taped my eyes, for I paid a big price for the goggles coming off in the middle of the night all day yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                    X