Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Asda dry eye drops very good ..but is 1mg of hylauronate In buffered phosphate safe?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asda dry eye drops very good ..but is 1mg of hylauronate In buffered phosphate safe?

Bought theses drops and they very good but the contain 1 mg sodium hylauronate in phosphate buffered saline. Should I be worried about this causing corneal calcification

I hope there safe as they are great on the eye
    "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Excellent point, thanks Hyper. We're also using Hyloforte and Hycosan, but mainly Celluvisc, in chronic use (search 'corneal calcification', as Hyperh says).

Ask the ophth to check for sub-epithelial dots in the slit-lamp. Also, as far as I know, dots/lesions could also be deteriorated collagen bonds between the epithelium and Bowman's layer from chronic inflammation, or they regard sub-epithelial dots as viral or post-viral. Presumably the position would be different. I so do not know what I'm talking about here. Sometimes we have to ask the ophth to read up and think about it too.

Any chance of you emailing the manufacturer customer services to ask what the ophth should look for (on the basis most people are fine but some aren't)? Why do they have to use all that phosphate?

Celluvisc straight from the fridge also feels great. Instinctively, we have stopped Hycosan during inflammation or while the surface is damaged, and use Celluvisc (which is well-proven, coats better) until things are 'normal'. Then sometimes use Hycosan on minimum use days because the HLA is supposed to promote epithelium healing. Maybe the key is osmosis, whether the phosphate solution is drawn into the eye off the distressed surface(?). Don't know. Anyone?
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

I know that there is literature out there that does warn of this, i have also thought about this. I think that they are talking about very high doses of s h to be honest with you. I am using 4 per cent stuff at times and i seem to remember the concerns were def with the high dosage, used over very long periods of time. And then I seem to think that it was due to the prep of it. I will try and find the relevant stuff.
      Whatever you do though, do NOT buy the ASDA dry eye spray. It is lethal and one of the ingredients turns to formaldehyde in the eye. I bought some last year and within a short space of time, could not open my eyes. I looked up the ingredient and found that this chemical is on the caution list. It was cheap at the time, reduced to 6 pounds or so and because I had used sprays in the past, I thought what the heck, have a go lulu. I am wary of telling people what to do but am willing to speak up on this on.
      Lulu

Comment

Calcification occurs when the phosphate concentration is high. Right off I can't remember what the definition of high was and when I was researching it, it seemed there were only 2-3 products available at tha concentration.

I can go back and try to find it, it will be a couple of weeks.

Comment

Asda linky..

It doesnt state how much phosphate is included

Moisturising effect Soothes tired eyes Suitable for contact lenses Dry eye drops About This Product: Natural, long lasting moisturiser Relieves the sensation of dryness Natural ingredients to moisturise your eyes Isotonic Kind to sensitive eyes

Ingredients

Contains per ml: 1mg Sodium Hyaluronate in Phosphate Buffered Saline , 0.1mg EDTA , 1.5mcg Alfa-Septidol .

Heres the link:

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...okiesDetecting
          "Only the body can heal itself, and all healing must come from within your body."

Comment

Working...
          X