This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saline "Eye Drops"

Has anybody found plain saline solution to be effective for dry eye symptoms?

Originally posted by georgiav View Post
    Has anybody found plain saline solution to be effective for dry eye symptoms?
    Yes. We don't have Unisol in Canada so I use sterile saline. In Canada, we can buy it at a pharmacy, however, like Muro 128 ointment and drops, it's behind the counter and you must ask for it. It comes in 3ml pink vials.

For an example, see sterile saline for inhalation.

I prefer sterile saline and Muro 128 drops to any other drop/gel/ointment sold (PF or not).

Comment

I concur with spmcc. I prefer sterile saline and muro 128 drops to any other dry eye drop. That said, I also like to use lacri-lube during the day as an artificial lipid layer to help prevent against evaporation. 90% of people disagree with the use of ointment during the day, but it works well for me.

Comment

I agree that non preservative saline works better than any drop and you don't have to worry about any long term effect of the preservatives. You can also get it free or much cheaper than any drop if you have a medical plan. Just ask your doc to write you a script for sodium chloride used for asthma inhalers.
        FOR WE WALK BY FAITH, NOT BY SIGHT (2 Corinthians 5:7).

Comment

I only use saline solution when I need to give my eyes a good flush out when they get too irritated with that gritty feeling. Since it's not a lubricant it will evaporate shortly after use and I'm in distress again. In fact, artificial tears and gels dry up quickly too. If I have to be somewhere and wearing my moisture chambers is not an option, I'll go for an ointment (specifically Poly-Visc ointment, Lacrilube irritates my eyes). Have you used Poly-Visc ointment tankie? You are correct about people on here suggesting the use of ointments can make dry eye worse, but I only use it occasionally and it's really necessary when the tears keep on evaporating!!

Comment

Working...
          X