skin around eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skin around eyes

I have a real problem with the skin around my eyes being irritated by the drops and gel. I'm afraid to put creams around my eyes because of possibly making my red eyes even worse. Now I'm afraid to put eye ointment around my eyes because of possibly keeping the Restasis from being absorbed. Any advice.
    B

I would think if you wait 15 minutes after you instill Restasis, you could go ahead with ointment, gel or any other eye treatment. The Restasis is gone for the most part by then. Many people here find ointments more irritating than gels. It was not clear to me if you meant an in-the-eye ointment or an ointment applied to the skin around the eye. If it is around the eye, it should not have any impact on the Restasis at all and thus no need to wait the 15 minutes.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Ointment

I meant eye ointment (Refresh PM or something like that), applied around my eyes. I didn't want anything around my eyes that would damage them. Plain old petroleum jelly would work too but I don't think it would stay sterile. I use a cotton swab to dab the eye ointment around my eyes in the areas that get raw.
      B

Comment

Have you discussed this irritation with an ophthalmologist or a dermatologist? There might be something better you could use to get things cleared up.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Silverlady,

I also notice the skin around my eyes being irritated because of the drops and compresses and all. I use a fragrance free Dove lotion around them to help with this. I am extra careful NOT to get it to close to my lashes though. I think because it is fragrance free it does not bother my eyes. You might want to just test out a couple different products until you find one that works for you. Good luck!

-Shells

Comment

I'll have to try Dove. I've also used vaseline around my eyes when they become "chapped." I have an Estee Lauder cream that is good, too.

If I was going to use Restasis, I'd do the moisturizint routine after.. Since you only use Restasis two times per day normally, maybe washing gently first and then instilling the drops. Wait a bit (15 min) and then do a little moisturizine around the area.

PS. I just noticed Kitty said waiting 15 minutes after instilling Restasis and then going ahead with something to moisturize!
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
            X