X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats Your Take On FreshKote?

Long time dry eye sufferer here.
    Used all kind of drops and have had plugs.
    Dwelle was good, but didn't give me enough relief.
    My current favorite is Systane Balance, but I find
    I need these every hour to keep up.

Been on Restasis for a long time, and it does help.
    Also do heating pads 2 to 3 times a day.

Now my doctor gave me some samples of FreshKote
    which is also only by prescription. I have a couple of
    sample bottles, and I find so far, after a couple of
    days, that it really has made a difference.

Whats your long term experience?
    Thanks.
    My Dry Eye Story:
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...7575#post47575

Just be aware...

that many (if not all) insurance companies are no longer paying for any portion of Freshkote since it's not FDA approved. My insurance company will not anymore and another person posted the same thing. (Try a board search for the other post about it.)

It seemed to help me a lot the first month I was on it and then when on my 2nd bottle it didn't seem to help any more and even felt like it was irritating me. That's around the time when I got the letter from my insurance carrier that it was no longer going to be covered (even with coverage it was still $30) so I just stopped using it.

Good luck.

Comment

Freshkote is Dwelle plus a phospholipid ingredient. Just to clarify on the FDA approval status... My understanding is that FreshKote is compliant with the over-the-counter requirements (there is no "approval" or testing process for OTC eyedrops - instead they have a list of requirements they have to comply with) and the laws permit OTC products to be sold on a prescription basis by the choice of the company. Just mentioning to clarify it doesn't mean FreshKote is not FDA compliant, but rather that they haven't pursued FDA approval as an Rx drug.

Dwelle isn't made anymore. I'm an unabashed diehard fan of Dr. Holly's drops, and though I think of FreshKote as not quite as good as Dwelle, I'd still (personally) prefer it over other OTC drops.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Rebecca,

It there any hope that Dwelle will come back into production? I miss it!

--Liz

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
          that many (if not all) insurance companies are no longer paying for any portion of Freshkote since it's not FDA approved. My insurance company will not anymore and another person posted the same thing. (Try a board search for the other post about it.)

It seemed to help me a lot the first month I was on it and then when on my 2nd bottle it didn't seem to help any more and even felt like it was irritating me. That's around the time when I got the letter from my insurance carrier that it was no longer going to be covered (even with coverage it was still $30) so I just stopped using it.

Good luck.
          My insurance did cover it partially, so I have a big bottle now.
          Can't hurt when your desparate for releif and nothing else seems to work 100%.
          My Dry Eye Story:

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
            Freshkote is Dwelle plus a phospholipid ingredient. Just to clarify on the FDA approval status... My understanding is that FreshKote is compliant with the over-the-counter requirements (there is no "approval" or testing process for OTC eyedrops - instead they have a list of requirements they have to comply with) and the laws permit OTC products to be sold on a prescription basis by the choice of the company. Just mentioning to clarify it doesn't mean FreshKote is not FDA compliant, but rather that they haven't pursued FDA approval as an Rx drug.

Dwelle isn't made anymore. I'm an unabashed diehard fan of Dr. Holly's drops, and though I think of FreshKote as not quite as good as Dwelle, I'd still (personally) prefer it over other OTC drops.
            Seems that Dr. Holly decided to make a bigger profit....

http://www.freshkote.com/about-freshkote_5000_ct.aspx
            My Dry Eye Story:

Comment

Dr. Holly is long since retired. He is not involved in the marketing distribution of these drops nor has he been for many years.

Earlier in his retirement, he used to devote a great deal of time to helping severe dry eye sufferers in various online forums, back in the days when there were no products, no answers, and few doctors trying to help.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Does it have the BAC preservative people are worried about. The one that can make your eyes drier?

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner View Post
                  Does it have the BAC preservative people are worried about. The one that can make your eyes drier?
                  http://www.dryeyezone.com/encyclopedia/busan1507.html

Comment

Working...
                  X