Suggestion for DEZ drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for DEZ drops

I like using the DEZ drops (Dwelle, Dakrina and Nutratear) but how I wish the size of the drops were a little smaller! I lose quite a bit down my face! I think the thicker drops could be better if a little less went in my eye(and all around it). It seems to be such a waste especially when they cost nearly double the price in NZ (Exchange rate and postage!). I often wonder if there could be a drop of viscosity half way between Dakrina and Nutratear? Is Freshcote like that? I guess we will never be able to get that one over here!!!
    Cheers!
    Dotanne
    When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Hi Dotanne

Yep, I know what you mean. But I managed to make to drops smaller....
    Youve asked for a drop with medium viscosity.
    There do exist drops of a different viscosity in Switzerland.
    They are called Vismed or Vislube (Germany).
    Do you know there drops?
    The first Doc who diagnosed my dry eye Syndrom gave me there and they must be good cause he had dry eye syndrom himself.
    I guess there drops are very good especially for people who have little tears (not mgd).
    But maybe these drops are available around the world. But I have never heard of them in these Forum.

Take care!

Comment

Dotanne - Sorry to hear that... not much we can do about either viscosity or the bottle mechanism but maybe play around with application technique a bit more? I have that issue with NutraTear sometimes - running down my face - but with Dwelle & Dakrina I'm usually able to get a pretty small drop in the eye. I tend to tilt my head way back and open wide so as to get as much as possible in the eye and not on the lashes/lid margins. - I think that Dakrina, Dwelle and Freshkote are all about the same viscosity because they have the same basic polymeric content, although Dwelle will feel a little thicker.

Alexandra - Vismed is a sodium hyaluronate drop, they seem to be pretty popular with users. You'll find some posts about them by searching on hyaluronate but not much, because they aren't available in the US. Unfortunately the FDA monograph system makes it difficult to get these on the market as an over-the-counter tear in the US. I think there's a version available available here, Aquify, as a lens wetter as lens wetters are subject to a different sort of regulation.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks Alexandra and Rebecca
        I doubt if we can get Vismed or Vislube in NZ. I did ask my eye Dr about a sodium hyalurnate drop and he commented that he used it with his patients (after ops or something like that) but commented that it was very expensive and apparently only available to Drs. Anything unavailable in USA is probably never going to be obtainable here!!!
        Never mind - I will still use the DEZ drops as they give me clearer vision for longer, but I often swab my eyes after using the thick ones to remove surplus, and use my peppermint cream under my eyes to bring on a little wetness which clears my vision. The best way I find to use Dwelle is just before I have a shower!!! The steam is wonderful and I guess any surplus is cleared. I use Nutratears a lot in the evening and at the computer as that is when I get a lot of blurriness. It is the best for clearing the blur! I do not have an MGD problem - just dry! (But my plugs do make a big difference too!)
        Thanks Rebecca for keeping such a great Bulletin board going. Your replies and comments are really helpful and well-put.
        Cheers all
        Dot
        When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

re hyaluronate

There's plenty of non-preserved hyaluronate options in France so I hope you'll find some elsewhere. If you're interested I may tell the price of each. I may receive some new samples from a lab (hopefully) so maybe i'll send a sample just to try.

hyaluronate drops in France (different concentrations):
          - hyal drop
          - vismed (plain and gel). I use it. It's actually the only one partially reimbursed in France (about 6.5 euros final cost for the patient, still expensive) but one has to live in France to benefit from it.
          - blink (not sold as "medication" in France so not in pharmacy but in "ocularists")
          - hyluprotect
          - hyabak

- there's also hylocomod - but I read an article about too much potassium in it causing calcification of the cornea -you don't want to get that- and they've haven't replied to my post on this... so keep away from it for the time being is my advice.

I don't see why these drops would be better for people suffering from aqueous-d. dry eye, Alexandra. Actually, most people who use it (within the Keratos group) are indeed also MGD sufferers - not sure it means anything, but the main difference is that they're easier to tolerate (most people using them had limited options previously)...

Keep me posted you can't find anything in NZ,
          Take care
          K

Comment

Working...
          X