Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Treatments for low tear production (lacrimal issue)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treatments for low tear production (lacrimal issue)

I was told by my doctor that the only thing I can do for my right eye which has a very very low tear production (I can't remember what the actual number was, but I failed the tear test... I think I scored a 3 or 4?) is restasis. Right now, it's not something I can try - it's not in my budget. Is she right, though? Is that the *only* thing I can do? That's almost more depressing than the actual dry eye! I guess plugs are also an option, but is there anything I can do in the way of drops or supplements?

Thank you

i dont know your docs opinion but i use one restasis vial and it lasts me about 3 days -i keep it in the refrigerator.. i think a lot of others on this site do as well.. so if used 2x a day you basically get 60 vials that last around 6 months.. just an option to throw out there to ya...
    Jenny

Comment

Hi ishkane,

FYI You can get cyclosporine in different strengths (i.e., Restasis = .05% cyclosporine but you could get higher) compounded in different vehicles. For example, I've tried olive oil, corn oil, and methylcellulose (methylcellulose needs to be refrigerated and kept only 30 days). Compounded cyclosporine is A WHOLE LOT less expensive than Restasis (~$30 versus ~$140).

Your ophthalmologist should know how to get compounded cyclosporine for you through a local compounding pharmacy. But if you want to get the ball rolling, you could call some large compounding pharmacies in Toronto and ask (1) how they compound cyclosporine eye drops and (2) what is the cost.

Good luck.

Comment

HI Ishkane:

I'm with Jenny my Restasis goes a long way. Today I opened up a new pack and noted that it said 'single use only' discard after use. I think that is a ploy of the drug companies to wring more money out of us. I have been on it for a year and that was my third package that I opened so like Jenny says it lasts around 6 months. I don't even keep mine in the fridge, although that is probably not a bad idea.

Apart from the Restasis I have cauterized upper ducts, lower plugs, I use non-preserved Systane Ultra eye drops, autologous eye serum and WileyX moisture chamber goggles plus Onyx goggles at night and I am managing very well. Every little bit helps and it eventually adds up to being able to function well....good luck....cheers....F/G

Comment

Yes, one vial of Restasis generally lasts me three days, and I don't keep it in the refrigerator either. There are 30 vials to a box, so 90 days per box. It has helped me. I've tried to quit using it a couple of times, but notice an uncomfortable difference when I do. Best wishes to you ishkane!

Comment

In addition to what others have mentioned, are you taking fish oil & flaxseed oil? There are a number of good brands out there (don't go for the cheapest, you want quality so you're looking at EPA /DHA levels, not just MG of oil). I use Barlean's smoothies and when traveling, use a high quality capsule. When I was dabbling in a few treatments, I tried chia seeds, slippery elm root and aloe vera, which has been found to be helpful for some people with Sjogren's. It didn't help me but it couldn't hurt to try, with doctor/naturopath supervision. Chia seeds are high in omegas; I'm not sure about slippery elm root and, of course, aloe vera, is good for healing.
            Other alternative treatments include warm (not hot -- your eyelids are delicate) compresses over your eyes (I filled a sock with rice and microwave it for about 30 seconds and it lasts more than 5-10 minutes) and cold green tea bags over your eyes (helps with inflammation). Also, keep track of your water intake. Are you drinking enough? Most people don't.

Comment

PotatoeCakes... what did you do with the slippery elm root and aloe vera? place them on your eyes? also chia seeds can help with dryness or is it the oil glands they help with? thanks!
              Jenny

Comment

Thank you I'm going to look into all your suggestions

Re slippery elm - i think you're supposed to make it into a tea. I have a bottle sitting around at home and it looks like sawdust! i didn't realize it was good for dry eyes, so maybe i'll pull it out again, but you steep it in a tea ball, as you would any other loose tea. And I think the aloe is also meant to be ingested - you can buy food grade aloe at a health food store - it's kind of a jelly like substance.

Comment

I was told to mix it with water or juice and drink it. I took a tablespoon of slippery elm root, a tablespoon of chia seeds and a tablespoon of aloe vera and gulped it down. My naturopath thought the slippery elm root was the worst but IMO, the chia & aloe were. I preferred them all in a smoothie and gulped it down as quickly as possible. My husband and child eat chia seeds in their oatmeal and think it's awesome. In the end, I started making a "shot glass" of the three and would shoot it followed by something to rinse it all down.

Comment

Working...
                  X