Artificial tears as a treatment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artificial tears as a treatment?

I have a question about artificial tears -- do people only take them on an as-needed basis to deal with specific irritation, or can they also be used as part of a longer-term treatment? I have moderate dry eyes -- certainly red, burning, difficult to wear contacts for more than a few hours once or twice a week, discharge in the corners often -- but I probably don't need to use drops every day.

I was wondering, is it bad to use drops when not specifically needed to address a specific and current feeling of dryness? For example, I use TheraTears preservative free vials -- could it help my condition if I experimented using these 2-3 times a day, both on days when I really need them (70% of the time) and on days when I don't (30% of the time) as a long-term potential part of my broader treatment, which includes flax seed, fish oil, compresses, lid cleaning, etc?

Originally posted by Eyeshaveit
    I have a question about artificial tears -- do people only take them on an as-needed basis to deal with specific irritation, or can they also be used as part of a longer-term treatment? I have moderate dry eyes -- certainly red, burning, difficult to wear contacts for more than a few hours once or twice a week, discharge in the corners often -- but I probably don't need to use drops every day.

I was wondering, is it bad to use drops when not specifically needed to address a specific and current feeling of dryness? For example, I use TheraTears preservative free vials -- could it help my condition if I experimented using these 2-3 times a day, both on days when I really need them (70% of the time) and on days when I don't (30% of the time) as a long-term potential part of my broader treatment, which includes flax seed, fish oil, compresses, lid cleaning, etc?
    This is a really good question.

Opinions vary in the medical community as to whether any artificial tears can be "therapeutic" or only "palliative". In a number of articles in the optometric and ophthalmology news press, I've noticed several dry eye experts now and then refer to some artificial tears as potentially therapeutic. And I think that Dr Gilbard and Dr Holly consider their respective products therapeutic (though with different foundations - reestablishing osmolarity, improving wettability, etc.)

I think that at a simpler, and less controversial, level there is an argument for use of tears when you don't have an immediate palliative need: prevention.

From time to time I've seen lots of patients post about how important preventive treatment has been to them - whether artificial tears or eyewear or whatever. This is particularly true if your eyes are under more stress from environmental conditions - weather, a/c, smoky bar, etc. Many people have noted that although they felt OK at the time, a day or two later they had an acute flare-up, which taught them to use tears preventively even if they didn't feel the need for them.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Consistency and Quality

Hello! I was going to post a new thread before I saw this one. I am planning just today to start using TheraTears as a daily treatment option. I have been trying recently the use of Refresh Endura (to help restore lipid, as Accutane has caused me meibomian gland atrophy and/or "shrinkage"), but have found that it slightly irritated my eyes upon instillation. I've also found personally that Soothe doesn't seems to offer much benefit for me for some reason. I'm not sure if I was just imagining this, or perhaps I haven't given these solutions long enough time, but I've purchased TheraTears in vial form this afternoon and began using it and the results so far seem to be so much more soothing for me, although not incredibly long-term (as expected).

I've had a hard time accepting that I need to use an atificial tear to help with my dry eye. Call it denial if you will, but I'm just now getting into committing myself to religious use of tears on a daily basis. I'm trying hard to use them even when I have 'better' days, as a preventive measure (as stated in the previous post). I'm hoping that regular use of TheraTears will provide some long-term relief and assist in some type of healing process for my ocular tissue, although I've read in certain places that use of tears can be detreminetal to te health of the eyes and you are better off not using any. Is this the case? Would using a product like TheraTears do more harm than good for my eyes? I would be interested to know of others' opinions of TheraTears. I guess I figured I'm safest with TheraTears because they claim they retain a patented electrolyte balance that mirrors the human tear, and have also read articles stating that they can be "therapeutic." Oh, and does anyone see any benefit over using TheraTears over Refresh Tears or Refresh Plus? Would love to hear what others think!

Thanks, everyone for reviewing my post!
      Jason
      Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

Jayson, I think the use of Thera Tears is a fine choice. Sometimes, we get into the "which drop to use" and can't see the trees for the forest. We all have our favorite drops and not all people react the same to each drop. You already know that.

My favorites are the DEZ drops: Dwelle, Dakrina and NutraTear

BUT, BUT, BUT.....

I always have another brand on hand and it's usually TheraTears in the preservative free vials. I do a mix and match. I know you're trying to stay with one product and that is good and Thera Tears should be a good choice. After using Thera Tears exclusively for a couple of weeks, see how it goes. If you are feeling better, then keep on using TT. Rather than stopping completely and be "in denial" try using drops 4 x day if that's sufficient.

Don't get too bogged down with our opinions. See what YOU like and you picked a good drop to use. Be consistent though if you really want to make a difference. Use the same kind of drops and as needed, but at least a few times a day. My opinion, yours may vary.

Lucy

PS. I like Refresh and Refresh Plus both. Try ond kind of drop for a couple of weeks.
        Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hey Jay,

I tried Theratears for a few months, hoping to see some sort of noticeable improvement, but unfortunately never did. They are pretty soothing once you put them in, but I remember always feeling like that nice sensation didn't last long.

It's hard for me to believe that any artificial tear that's out there now can promote healing. The articles and marketing about Theratears and the osmolarity fix sure are convincing, though. I think that unless you have mild dry eye, the best you can hope for is an artificial tear that feels good in your eye and lasts as long as possible (and, of course, one that's preservative-free so you're not damaging your ocular surface). Have you tried the DEZ drops, Dakrina and Dwelle? I was a skeptic at first, but Dakrina turned out to provide the longest-lasting relief of any drop I've used. I'm currently using Systane preservative-free though, since my eyes have improved a bit (through plugs and possibly Restasis).

It definitely is frustrating having to put in drops all day. A lot of times I feel like I'm in dry eye prison or that I'm chained to my eye drops.

I definitely don't think I'm damaging my eyes by constantly applying drops, but I do think sometimes I have a problem with dependence. I usually am accustomed to constantly applying drops so that if I go an hour without one my eyes feel irritated. Then other times, if I have to go several hours without them, after a while my eyes aren't as irritated. Anyone else experience this?

Comment

Thanks

Thank-you for everyones feedback. I will continue to use TheraTears since they are simple and soothing and provide some temporary relief for me. I'm not getting my hopes to high as far as a long-term therapeutic relief is concerned, but maybe just a little
            Jason

"We should not be looking for answers to the diseases we suffer from today, but why many peoples in the world don't get them at all."

Comment

You guys, for people with long term dry eyes, there is nothing but the use of artificial tears for relief. You may worry that you're using them too much, or are too dependent on them, but in truth if you're really dry - you need the drops. Period. You need them to keep your eyes from further erosion. You need them to be able to keep your eyes open. You need them to be ABLE to open and get your eyes hydrated in the a.m.

If you have room to debate "whether" you need the drops or not, maybe you don't.
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Ocular Surface disease moves in, or is categorized by, stages. Stages 1-4. In the early stages, 1 and 2, when most people choose to ignore the signs of dry eyes TheraTears or other hypotonic drops could be therapeutic. I have seen studies that showed if this product was used hourly for four weeks and -6 times daily afterwards, it could be therapeutic. This also assumes you do other treatments, plugs, lid cleansers, etc. to help offset the causes of the dry eye.

Unfortunately most people don't start this regimen until the disease is well into stage 2 and rapidly approaching stage 3. At this point it becomes much more difficult to reverse the disease and patient comfort becomes the primary focus. There is a new diagnostic device that will be available late next year according to a manufacturer, that will allow eye care providers to diagnose Ocular Surface disease earlier and begin a treatment regimen and monitor the success.

Like most things in life if you treat/fix it early, it is less painful/costly than waiting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy
                  You may worry that you're using them too much, or are too dependent on them, but in truth if you're really dry - you need the drops. Period. You need them to keep your eyes from further erosion. You need them to be able to keep your eyes open. You need them to be ABLE to open and get your eyes hydrated in the a.m.
                  I agree with this. There are probably many people with mild to moderate dry eye symptoms who find they can reduce or even eliminate need for artificial tears through other means (from plugs to Restasis to vitamin supplements). But for those of us who for whatever reason are in this chronic dry eye business for the long haul, most of us pretty much have to use lubricants to keep their eyes hydrated for both protection and comfort. Until there are some really persuasive studies showing that artificial tears are bad for us (don't hold your breath) why sweat it.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

From time to time I've seen lots of patients post about how important preventive treatment has been to them - whether artificial tears or eyewear or whatever. This is particularly true if your eyes are under more stress from environmental conditions - weather, a/c, smoky bar, etc. Many people have noted that although they felt OK at the time, a day or two later they had an acute flare-up, which taught them to use tears preventively even if they didn't feel the need for them.[/QUOTE]

Yes I have the same question.. yesterday for exemple I didn't pu any tears because they don't seem to help much, and I didn't feel I needed them. My schimmer test is 10.... and yesterday I felt bad, so I wonder if it is because I had no drops yesterday. But someday in a row I use them and they are bad, so I wonder. To me I noticed that after 6 to 7 days without rain I start suffering a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X