This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drops that used to soothe now sting

I've been using Theratears and Blink for years after my doc did the tearlab test on me and recommended these. Sometimes they sting when I use them now even though they always used to be very soothing. What is going on? The other odd thing that happens occasionally is that, seemingly randomly, the drops leave a white crusty stuff on my eyelids even though I try to wipe off any excess. What is that? thanks.

Tiff, We talk to derms and ophth about sensitivity and allergy a lot. Sometimes we use something too much and get sensitive to it. If the ophth thinks particular eyedrops long term are changing the eye surface or making the eyes a bit red, he suggests different ones. We also use saline vials occasionally for a flush round but not as an alternative to lubricant.

Derms recommend rotating maybe 3 skin meds to avoid sensitivity/allergy developing in rosacea, but ophth say if eyedrops are working and your eyes feel better, stick with what you know. I think this is why some ophth say 'all eyedrops are the same' because they kind of are, but then when you get experienced or interested, you can notice sensitivity in a longer-term patient and start to have opinions about which drops have worked better for different people.

Is the white crusty stuff new?
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Tiff.. i used Refresh plus for years after they changed the tip of theratears and i couldnt shut the lid... at that point i actually liked refresh better... i used it for about 2 years and then it began to burn--i noticed after using it my eyes felt drier.. so i went back to theratears and love those again. (and thanksfully they changed the design of the bottle back to the original but still have some out there with the "new" design)..

i think its trial and error with drops.. ps.. i sometimes get the white crusty stuff from drops esp at night-i think it when i use too many and cant wipe my eyes.. hope u feel better and get this resolved
      Jenny

Comment

Working...
      X